Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of John Milton
Son of Senior John Milton and Sarah Jeffrey.
Parents moved to London in 1583 for Catholic devotion.
Father was known for his skills as a musical composer.
Senior Milton made his son write parts of the bible out to show his dedication to his faith.
Graduated from the University of Cambridge as the 4th top honour student, studying Religion and English.
He planned on becoming a Priest, but his passion for writing overpowered him.
He wrote most of his poems in English, which were later
translated by himself, and also written in Italian and Latin. His Beliefs Milton was a firm believer of God.
He grew up into a very religious family, which influenced his writing greatly.
He is able to express the way he feels about God through his poetic writing.
"The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." - John Milton, Paradise Lost TEMPTATION CENSORSHIP Paradise Lost Areopagitica Modern Day Connection Temptation “the voice of reason” “willing to repeal any Act” - Freedom of Speech "Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinion in good men is but knowledge in the making."
- John Milton, Areopagitica Paradise Lost Lines 1-26 "Man's First Disobedience" "Life After Death" "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light."
- John Milton, Paradise Lost - "The Seeker of Right and Just" Censorship "Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth
Unseen, both when we wake, and when we sleep."
- John Milton, Lost Paradise Daily battle between good and evil God tempts no one For Example: Fun vs. Responsibility Freedom of Speech "The Voice of Reason" For Example: Sex Rights Quiz 1. What were the two major themes presented? a) Love, Censorship b) Temptation, Freedom of Speech c) Temptation, Love d) Censorship, Hope 2. Which poem was Milton most famous for? a) Areopagitica b) Paradise Regained c) Paradise Lost d) On Shakespeare 3. What was Milton's father's name? a) Henry b) Steven c) John d) Jeffery 4. Which of the following is an example of Temptation: a) Cell Phone b) Computer c) Food d) All of the Above - Cell phones, computers, etc. - Gay Marriage