Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Leading change in organization
Transcript of Leading change in organization
Ultimate Office Products
Richard Kelly - newly hired Director of Information Systems for Ultimate Office Products
CEO of Ultimate Office Products
Other Managers from Different Departments
1.Why did Richard fail in his first attempt to implement change
Q1 -Why did Richard fail in his first attempt to implement change
Take steps for leading change
People's resistance to change
Q2- Identify subsequent actions by Richard that were more effective for implementing change.
Step 1 : Create a sense of urgency
gather more information & gained support from CEO.
Step 2: Creating the guiding coalition
met with managers forming cross-functional task forces
2.Identify subsequent actions by Richard that were more effective for implementing change.
3. Evaluate the change leadership provided
by the CEO.
Lewin's three steps model
Lack of conviction
Fail to articulate reason for change& managers don’t share same vision
Lack of trust of leadership
Newly created position
Step 3:Developing a clear vision
began working together understand
&realize the problems
Step 4:Communicate & share the vision
determine changes needed&involve
people in process
Step 5: Empower People to Clear Obstacles
managers opposed change ,CEO made clear supported task force
Step 6: Secure Short-Term Wins
company eliminated steps& days
Step 7: Don't Let up
orders made electronically & mistakes eliminated.
Step 8: Make it stick
Discover change things for better, looks ways to improve
Change is not feasible
Several problems of system
Relative high cost
Manager questioned need for expensive new system
Fear of unknown
Don’t have full knowledge & skills
2 situations happened
1. CEO discuss new responsibilities
- Explain the issues to Richard.
- CEO impatient when failed to reach the outcome.
2. CEO authorized Richard to begin
the second plan
- shows support.
1. Fielder's Contingency Theory
Good L-M relations, task structured, high position power Low LPC
priority on task accomplishment
When Richard failed, she showed dissatisfaction
CEO authorized Richard to implement the plan.
Richard & managers operational responsibilities
CEO ultimate responsibilities
1. Attitude-centered change
- CEO emphasizes importance
2. Role-centered change
- Cross functional task force
3. Change in competitive strategy
- new computer system
- One of the most difficult task
- Double-edged sword
- Requires energy, focus and persistence,
and takes longer than expected
-Minimize chaos, decrease intensity yet
remain focused on end result
People/employees – the
most important for change
to take place
Increase profitability –
changes to strategy,
structure, technology and
culture of organization
Q3 -Evaluate the change leadership provided by the CEO