Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Stasi: East German Secret Police
Transcript of The Stasi: East German Secret Police
- very large organization
- up to 91,015 full time employees
-network of 189, 000 unofficial collaborators who informed on people they knew
What attracted Stasi interest?
- open resistance
- lots of interest in western society (not conforming)
- group gatherings not sanctioned by the government
Stasi Headquarters in Berlin
- Named the Ministry for State Security or Ministerium für Staatssicherheit
-Established on February 8th, 1950, shortly after the establishment of the German Democratic Republic
- internal security and police apparatus based off of the Kommisariat 5, modeled off of the KGB
Departments Within the Stasi
- Administration 12
- Administration 2000
- Administration for Security of Heavy Industry and Research
- Main Administration for Security of the Economy
- Division of Garbage Analysis
- Felix Dzerzhinsky Guards Regiment
- Main Administration for Reconnaissance
- Main Administration for Struggle Against Suspicious Persons
- Main Coordinating Administration of the Ministry for State Security
- Main Department for Communications Security and Personnel Protection
- Penal System
- bugged rooms
- searched apartments and houses
-had people followed
- had the power to arrest people for any reason
- interrogation and imprisonment as they saw fit
-domestic political surveillance
-tried to infiltrate every aspect of daily life
-including personal relationships
-infiltrated societal institutions
-gathered intelligence through the Main Administration for Foreign Intelligence branch
-mostly against the West German government and NATO
-known for kidnapping escaped East German officials and bringing them back
- The KGB had officers in each department of the Stasi until it was shut down, even though it had been independent since 1957.
- Said to have worked with the Red Army Faction, a terrorist group in West Germany, and the Palestine Liberation Organization.
- known as one of the most effective intelligence agencies of the Cold War
- files on citizens are now available for the public to peruse
- many Stasi officials were punished for their crimes after the end of the GDR in 1990 with the fall of the Soviet Union