Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Why is music important?
Transcript of Why is music important?
Why is music important in learning?
- Music helps learning other subjects and enhances skills that children necessarily use in other areas.
- Music is needed to increase literacy skills for children, adolescence and adults.
- Learning music helps creativity, resourcefulness, and playing with a language
- Music establishes children listening skills
- Learning music also helps improve certain memory possibilities outside of music.
- Playing soft music is normally used to help children to relax at nap time and other times of the day.
- SAGE Publications/Psychology of Music. "Music Education Can Help Children Improve Reading Skills." ScienceDaily, 16 Mar. 2009. Web. 8 Oct. 2013
- Kraus, N. and Chandrasekaran, B. 2010. Music training for the development of auditory skills. Nature Reviews. Neuroscience. 11: 500-505.
- Our choices in music, the strength and frequency of the music we listen to, can have a demeanor on our mental health.
- Music can be a positive force for mental health, calming, relaxing and intellectually stimulation.
- Music affects our emotions, it can create "channels" in our mind, patterns of thinking.
- Children learn to cooperate while bonding with a larger group
- Children can learn about world cultures or share first songs in other languages
- Music cultivates math and reading skills through constant patterns in songs or dance
- Classical music is referred to be the best type of music for children.
- It teaches communication and relationship skills.
- It helps them appreciate all types of music.
- Nina Kraus, a prominent brain researcher at Northwestern University, says that "music training leads to changes throughout the auditory system that prime musicians for listening challenges beyond music processing."
- Teens who pick music with positive messages or soothing sounds can help themselves relax and to feel better.
- The stresses of puberty can be reduced by listening to or creating music with positive sounds and words.
- Music can help your teen study better and earn better grades
- Music positively affects the areas of the brain for attention, updating events in memory and making guesses for both teens and adults.
Vinicius Barra: Research on adults
Brandon Camacho Cruz : Research on children
Makel Farmer: Research on adults (Speaker)
Jesse Krzywicki: Research on adolescence
Alexa Moran: Research on children & Prezi
Tyler Reid: Research on adults
Codey Tevis: Research on children (Speaker)
Donald Wright: Research on adolescence (Speaker)
- A Way of Life for the Young Child, by L.C. Edwards, K.M. Bayless, M.E. Ramsey, 2005 edition, p. 15-19.
- Teens learn to identify formation in and through music, emotional benefits, music's life perks, including character-building and life skills, social benefits.
- Journal of Research in Music Education. Fall2007, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p220-236. 17p.
Teens & Adults
Music therapists use skills that help to stimulate brain function controlling movement, cognition, speech, emotions and the senses. It is wanted and hoped that such therapies may also prevent depression some people have. Techniques range from rhythmic auditory stimulation (RAS), which connects rhythm and movement, to singing, and the use of music listening, music improvisation, and composition.
Music’s pitch, rhythm, meter and timbre are processed in various parts of the brain.
Music is part of the right side of their brain.It functions:
Listening to music stimulates the whole brain through diverse neural circuitry that stimulate better brain metabolism. Listening to enjoyable music improves your brain function.
- Music is poetry, and also a form of storytelling helps students in their reading and writing tasks.
How does music affect the brain?