Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Schizophrenia
The cause of Schizophrenia is thought to be mostly because of genetics
What is Schizophrenia
Most researchers believe that schizophrenia is developed from the combination of brain vulnerabilities and traumatic life events
Schizophrenia is a psychological disorder
Schizophrenia is characterized as not being able to separate reality from non-reality
Most people develop schizophrenia between the ages of 16-40
Psychosis is increased in youth that use marijuana and that can lead to schizophrenia. People with psychosis believe unusual thoughts such as the TV is sending secret messages to them or that they are getting spied on
Women that had the influenza virus while pregnant are more likely to give birth to a child who will develop schizophrenia or other mental illnesses
Types of Schizophrenia
The fives types of schizophrenia are:
- Paranoid - delusions, hallucinations or false beliefs
- Catonic - little to no movement, when the sufferer is in a vegetative stage
- Disorganized - disorganized thinking, inappropriate emotions or behavior
- Residual - long term sufferers where most symptoms disappeared
- Undiferentiated - does not fit into the above categories
Anti psychotic drugs are effective for treating symptoms of schizophrenia.
These drugs prevent Schizophrenics from experiencing hallucinations.
Side effects from these drugs include weight gain, jitters, and movement problems
Long term effects from these drugs include a condition called Tardive Dyskinesia where patients develop uncontrollable movements.
Schizophrenia is one of the only disorders known to exist in every culture and society around the world
Schizophrenia has received significant stigma in history and in modern society, driving more social withdrawal in schizophrenics
Almost 1% of the worlds population has Schizophrenia
The word schizophrenia originates from two Greek words that mean split and mind. This is because there is a split between what is happening and what their mind perceives
Therapy and counseling can also help people living with Schizophrenia live a normal life
Schizophrenia patients often have hallucinations and hear or see things that aren't actually there
- Disorganized Speech
- Disorganized Behaviour