Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Anaemia investigations & Haemoglobinopathy Screening in Preg
Transcript of Anaemia investigations & Haemoglobinopathy Screening in Preg
>>> Check the ferritin!
Why all the fuss?
1. Common and undertreated
2. Opportunity to reduce anaemia
2. Acceptable risk has changed
3. Limited timing for intervention
4. Clinically significant during pregnancy
- Causes of low MCV
- Normal MCV in Haemoglobinopathy.
Universal vs selective screening
Please identify these patients -
iron studies & HbEPG.
Please DOCUMENT clearly on the request form:
Review results and arrange follow-up
Ask us to help you!
Algorithm for familiarization
Lost iron at delivery
500ml blood loss ~ 250mg elemental iron
Body stores: 500-1500mg elemental iron
1ug ferritin ~ 8-10mg storage iron
Ferritin of 30ug = 250mg storage iron
= 500ml blood loss
Replace iron promptly & thoroughly
High risk patients
SE Asian, Asian, Indian, Mediterranean, Arabic, Black African
MCV < 86fl
Dilemma in screening!
eg. 1 gene alpha thal trait,...
FBC + film
HbEPG (HPLC will be included)
As early as possible!!
The process takes time...
HbEPG 3-4 days > clinical contact > clinical review, genetic counselling > DNA studies: 6-8 weeks... all prior to amniocentesis?!?
Clinical significance in autosomal recessive conditions relies on both parents' genotype
Document clearly, so SEALS can give you a combined report