Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Elements of a Novel
Transcript of Elements of a Novel
Plot, Setting, Character, Conflict, Symbol, and Point of View are the main elements which fiction writers use to develop a story and its Theme.
The Elements of Fiction
1. The novel talks about universal problems and feelings of humanity.
2. It reflects the people and customs of the periods in the setting.
3. It is a long story, usually with many characters and more than one theme and story line.
4. It teaches some lesson or truth about life.
Characteristics of a Novel
1. Tone - reflects the author's attitude toward the subject and readers; often revealed through descriptive words
2. Style - determined by the way the novel is written: vocabulary and sentence structure; the way the story is told
Terms to Know
1. Allegorical - uses character, place, and events to represent abstract ideas
2. Science Fiction - relies on scientific or pseudo-scientific machinery to create a future society which parallels our own
3. Historical - set in the past and takes its characters and events from history
4. Social - concerned with the influence of societal institutions of economic and social conditions on characters and events
5. Regional - presents the influence of a particular locale on characters and events
6. Detective - combination of the picaresque and psychological novel because it reveals both events and their motivation
Types of Novels
1. The novel has two parts: a story and a story-teller
2. Whether the story can actually happen or not, novels have a realistic treatment of life and manners.
3. Their heroes are characters to whom we can relate.
1. "Novel" is an English name derived from "novella", meaning "a little new thing"
2. No one knows where the novel started. Possibly, it began with Daniel Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe" or Cervantes' "Don Quixote."
3. The novel is the most popular literary form.
Development of the Novel
There are others too!
This is on the test:
is a literary element. It is
extremely important because it shows the order of events in a story. It includes 5 aspects you'll want to remember:
- 1. Exposition
- 2. Rising action
- 3. Climax
- 4. Falling action
- 5. Exposition
These are the
ELEMENTS OF PLOT STRUCTURE:
(starting to get
(the most exciting part)
to wind down)