Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Online Education in CUNY: What It Isn't, What It Is, What It Might Be
Transcript of Online Education in CUNY: What It Isn't, What It Is, What It Might Be
Why Isn’t Everyone Doing It?
Long-standing faculty resistance
Its reinforcement by recent hype
The question of adequate support
The specter of "more work"
A good reason to do it
What It Isn't
High Points on the Hype Cycle
Why Do It Then?
Early days and grassroots efforts
Better access to resources
Better means of managing interaction
Serving in-service professionals and working students
What It Is
Different means to the same ends
The issue of comparability
Huge Untapped Potential
The Thing to Fix Higher Ed
A matter of whatever handle you have on it?
The CUNY SPS Approach
In a word, it's about
: SPS went after the stop-outs (more than 10K a year) – the people who left college because “life happened” and would need online ed as the only way of completing the degree
A Resource and a Model to "Finish in 4"
Think how much easier it would be for students to do that if 1 or 2 of those up to 5 classes could be online or hybrid (and think of the growth in enrollment capacity if people take that seriously) – how, gradually, we could move to significant access to gen ed courses, bottleneck courses, etc. Example:
• Support for the students and the faculty
• Emphasis on experiential and interactive use
• A Coalition of the Willing
• For faculty, time to prepare and ongoing support
What Does It Take to Do It Well?
Whom Doesn’t It Work For?
Those who don’t want to teach/learn this way
Those who think learning is lurking
Those who won't prepare
Those who can't manage their time
The Big Reasons Why & Why Not (to)
(among learners, to material, to the world)
and making visible (for other faculty, students)
(this is not cheaper)
making/taking it easier
(this is more demanding/engaging)
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME