Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Blindness

No description
by

logan underwood

on 31 May 2011

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Blindness

Blindness Symptoms Causes Treatment Diagnosis Blindness caused by ocular and refactive defects of the eye Includes macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, cataracts, and corneal opacity Blindness caused by infection In develpoing nations where 85% of blindness occurs one of the leading causes are infections of the eye Leprosy, river blindness(onchocerciasis), and trauchoma -Dietary and heriditary causes Vitamin A deficiency, childhood blindness caused by defects of the eye or optic nerve Blindness has roughly 500 different causes Some causes set in suddenly and are often caused by a medical emergency Other causes set in gradually and typically have different causes Ex. Stroke, direct injury to the eye, and retinal detatchment Ex. ocular and refractive defects, infection All who experience blindness have the common symptom of difficulty seeing Complete blindness is defined as total blackness of vision with the inability of a person to distinguish darkness from bright light in either eye Legal blindness ranges from 20/200 vision to complete vision loss Ways to tell that someone is experiencing visual loss Treatment regarding the specific condition coping with blindness By, Logan Underwood An onset of vision loss should prompt a thorough opthalmic evaluation Could include visual observation, use of an aye chart,
imaging, or genetic studies. Legal blindness can be classified as vision rated as 20/200 or worse. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/blindness/symptom-search.htm http://www.massgeneral.org/children/adolescenthealth/articles/aa_blindness.aspx http://www.medicinenet.com/blindness/page4.htm 90% of those considered to be legally blind have some vision or what some would call "low vision". The remaining 10% have complete blindness and experience complete darkness Another Classification of legal blindness is having a field of view less than 20 degrees as opposed to the norm of 180 degrees. Due to the many causes of blindness there is no one way to correct it Treatment regarding the specific conditon causing blindness will likely correct vision. many conditions, for example diabetic retinopathy or stroke leave permanent damage and could cause permanent blindness However refractive and eye defects like cataracts or macular degeneration can be fixed with corrective surgery or in minor cases, eyeglasses when one is faced with permanent blindness there are a number or ways of coping and increasing quality of life. for those faced with sudden or gradual onset of blindness the transission can be difficult. A reorganization of a persons habits may be required. A variety of tools are available to allow those who are blind to do many everyday tasks 90% of all bllindness is preventable through regular eye exams,
proper diet, access to medical care, and eye protection However the term blindness is used today to describe a variety of severe visual impairments 40 million people are blind worldwide 1.cataracts (47.9%)
2.glaucoma (12.3%)
3.age-related macular degeneration (8.7%)
4.corneal opacity (5.1%)
5.diabetic retinopathy (4.8%)
6.childhood blindness (3.9%)
7.trachoma (3.6%)
8.onchocerciasis (0.8%) -finding light to be too bright or dim
-difficulty recognizing people
-squinting or disorientation In perspective that means someone who is legally blind and make out an object at 20 feet where someone with 20/20 could see with the same quality 200 feet
Full transcript