Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Revolution in the Arab World

No description
by

Robin Petersen

on 11 May 2012

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Revolution in the Arab World

Revolution in the Arab World In the Arab world, many countries are going through revolutions. The revolutions in Libya, Egypt, Yemen, Algeria, Bahrain, and Tunisia are rather violent. The following summaries of the countries and their stuggles are in order from least bad to worst. With luck, an agreement between the rulers and the people will be met. Yemen Algeria The president of Algeria,Abdelaziz Bouteflika was in power from April 28th 1999 to December 29th 2009. Presidents in Algeria are elected for 5 year terms. Bouteflika was elected for his 3rd term in 2009. Algeria has a republic government. This means that they vote for their leaders. There are two main ethnicities in Algeria, Arab- Berber (99%) and European (1%).
Algeria has a population of 34,586,184. 420 or more were killed in violent protests. Tunisia President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was elected in 1987, 24 years ago. He was forced out on January 14th 2011. Tunisia has a population of 10,589,025. There were 219 deaths in the recent protests. The average income per person in Tunisia is $3581 per year. The 3 main ethnicities in Tunisia are Arab (98%), European (1%), and Jewish (and other) (1%). In Yemen, President Ali Abdullah has been the president of reunified Yemen since 1999. Previous to that he was the president of unified Yemen since 1990. Before that, he was the president of North Yemen since 1978. In short, this man has influenced the government for thirty-three years. Each presidential term is 7 years. In 2006, the people voted Abdullah into office but the people still believed he cheated his way into power. He promises not to run for re-election in 2013 but the people want him to step down now. There have been 35 deaths overall. 52% of the population is Sunni and 46% is Shia. The other 2% is made of a mixed population. The average person's income is $2,600. Bahrain Kind Hammad Bin Isa Al Khalifa has been in power since 1999, but the Al Khalifa family has been in power since 1793. Hammad came into power as the emir in 1999, but declared himself a king in 2002. The population is 1,234,596. 81% of the population is Muslim, 10% are Hindu, and 9% are Christian. In the protests, The average person's income is %37,200. 541 people have been injured and 7 people have been killed. Of the seven who have died, a two year old girl was shot several times by police who were trying to stop the protesters. Many people are enraged by this. Egypt The president, Hosni Mubarak, has been in power since 1981. The population of Egypt is 80, 471,869. The average person in Egypt makes $6,600 a year. 90% of the population is Sunni Muslim. The other 10% is Coptic Christian. In the Egyptian museum, 70 objects were damaged in protests. Also in protests, around 400 people have been killed and close to 5,500 people have been injured. Libya Libya's president, Muammar el-Quaddafi, has been in power since 1969. Before he came into power, there were free elections. There is no constitution to keep the president in check so he controls everything. The population is 6,,461,454. 97% of the population is Sunni Muslim. The other 3% is made of many different ethnicities. The average person in Libya makes $82,000 a year. In protests, 4,000 people have been injured and 2,000 people have died.
Full transcript