Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
FUNDAMENTALS OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT By Joseph heagney
Transcript of FUNDAMENTALS OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT By Joseph heagney
Phases of a project.
Steps in managing a project.
Life cycle of a troubled project.
Roles of a project manager.
Planning a project.
Project planning steps.
Developing project objectives.
Assessing project risks What is project management? - PMI defines project management as a temporary endeavor undertaken to produce a unique product, service or result. Life cycle of a troubled project. "the 1st rule in project management is that the people who are doing the work must help plan it....." "leadership is the art of getting others to want to do something that you believe should be done" ~~~~Vance Packard. - Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to project activities. Roles of a project manager * Understand the mission and vision of the organization first. Phases of a project Planning a project "planning is answering questions and if you have no plan, you have no control" Project planning steps * definition phase * planning phase *execution phase * closeout Steps in managing a project Define the problem Develop solution options Plan the project
- what? who? when?
- how much will it cost?
-what you need to do it? Execute the plan ......projects tend to fail because the team does not take time to ensure that they have developed a proper definition of the problem being solved.... Monitor and control the progress
-are you on target?
- what must be done if not
- change of plans? Close project
-what was well done?
-what should be improved?
-what did you learn? * See how the project being managed matches the organization's mission. * Steer the project to ensure the interests of the organization are met. * Act as a leader, not as a working manager. Additionally, exercise management skills while leading a team. * Make own decisions instead of asking for authority. This involves taking action first and then informing the boss later. * Ensure the team has all the resources to do the job well. *Control is exercised by comparing where you are to where you are supposed to be so that corrective action can be taken when there is a deviation. *To plan a project properly you must attend to: *Strategy * Tactics * Logistics *The primary responsibility of the project manager is to ensure that all the work is completed on time, within budget and scope and at the correct performance level. Developing project objectives * An objective describes a desired end result to be achieved Assessing project risks It's helpful to assess risks of failure of the following
* the schedule
* the budget
* project quality
* customer satisfaction define the problem to be solved by the project develop mission statements followed by statements of major objectives develop a project strategy that will meet all the project objectives write a scope statement to define project boundaries (what will and will not be done) develop a work breakdown structure (WBS) use the WBS to estimate activity durations,resource requirements and costs prepare the project master schedule and budget decide on the project organization structure create a project plan Specific Measurable Attainable Realistic Time limited You can identify risks by asking, "what could go wrong?" Questions 1. What is your desired outcome for your project? 2. What should be focused on when closing a project?