Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Information Systems Planning and Management Report Presentat
Transcript of Information Systems Planning and Management Report Presentat
• Long-term projects
• Loss of corporate systems (such as Payroll).
• Applying new systems (impact BAU* activity during deployment)
• Illegal behavior (malware, system disruption)
Australasian council owned utility
Employee contract types:
- Approximately 700 employees
- Worth billions of dollars
The Role of IT
Information Systems Planning and Management Report Presentation
Aiqin Wang 1393891
Yilin Hou 1302428
Gareth Thomas 1272821
Conduct business processes and innovate systems, use instant messaging (Lync)
• SharePoint for collaboration and document management, by integrating system, process, and workflow capability
Using BizTalk - Enterprise application integration
• Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager automatically provides new user accounts, and self-service identity management.
System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) to monitor its IS assets.
• applying business intelligence (BI) tools - SAP
Jack - IS Manager (functionally equivalent to CIO)
• Responsible for the IS department, its staff, operations, projects, processes, and the relationships with other business units.
• Jill - Enterprise Architect
• Ensures the IT strategy aligns with business strategy
• Assign resources and investigation (capacities and time consumption)
• Uses advanced technologies in some areas of IS department currently
• a few business projects have not started yet
• Further invest on effective technologies and easy-used systems
• IS vision and strategy directions (from X Company’s strategy)
• Define and build IS plans based on the understanding of the business needs.
• IT steering committee
• Road-map: how much inputs and improvement should be considered in a project
• Business cases: explain the reasons, options, costs and values of changes in IS planning.
• Informal communication initially and more formal communications once these plans are approved.
Issues and solutions
• Uses the TOGAF framework
• Presented as a portfolio to the business
• Mostly an optimised core with scattered silos
• Email, printing, purchasing, accounting, human resources
• Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
• “Microsoft Shop”
• Active directory
• Microsoft Azure
• BizTalk (EAI)
• SAP (ERP)
• Microsoft Azure
• Data sovereignty
• Claims-based authentication
Resource cost uncertainty
• Business units not always required to pay for a resource
• Creates uncertainty in project costs and resource availability
• Suggestion: Standardize resource costs by always charging
• Outcome: Allows more accurate costing, prevents resources being stretched
Unknown business silos
• Gaps in the knowledge of the environment
• Possibility of critical functions sitting outside of the knowledge of IS
• Suggestion: Put onus on business units to report critical functions, and ensure understanding of risks when IS is unaware of them
• Outcome: Less likelihood of major business impact when IS make environment changes. Helps to remove legacy applications
Divina, P. (2010, October 13). Supercity CIO. Retrieved from http://www.cio.co.nz/article/364098/ supercity_cio/
Internal Affairs (2014). Cloud Computing: Information Security and Privacy Considerations. Retrieved from https://www.ict.govt.nz/assets/ICT-System-Assurance/Cloud-Computing-Information-Security-and-Privacy-Considerations-FINAL2.pdf
Microsoft. (2007). Active Directory Domain Services Overview. Retrieved from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9a5cba91-7153-4265-adda-c70df2321982
Microsoft. (2013). Which Windows Azure Cloud Architecture? PaaS or Iaas?. Retrieved from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hanuk/archive/2013/12/03/which-windows-azure-cloud-architecture-paas-or-iaas.aspx
Microsoft. (2015). An Introduction to Claims. Retrieved from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff359101.aspx
Public Knowledge LLC. (n.d.). Public Knowledge: Purpose and Roles of A Project Steering Committee – Part 2. Retrieved from http://www.pubknow.com/2010/03/purpose-and-roles-of-a-steering-committee-%E2%80%93-part-2/
SAP (n.d.). Business Intelligence: What is a BI Strategy? Retrieved from https://www.sapbi.com/bi-strategy/
Sambamurthy, V., & Zmud, R. (2012). Guiding the Digital Transformation of Organizations. Retrieved from http://www.ldpress.com/publications/guiding-the-digital-transformation-of-organizations/
The Open Group. (2013). TOGAF Version 9.1. Retrieved from https://www.opengroup.org/togaf
*BAU- Business As Usual