Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Namesake Gender Criticism
Transcript of The Namesake Gender Criticism
literary lenses? The "Affair" Lineup The "Affair" lineup cont. A set of social and behavioral norms that are generally considered appropriate for either a man or a woman in a social or interpersonal relationship. How does the author relate back to the novel? Jhumpa Lahiri herself relates to the protagonist of the story
- Her cultural background influence
- Child of an immigrated couple Gogol Ganguili's relationships How is the relationship between men
and woman portrayed? - Traditional gender roles in the Bengali Culture
- Ashima vs. Ashoke; Immigrated family
- Male superiority; provider of the family.
- Ashoke moves to Ohio, Ashima is alone.
Growing sense of independence -Cultural differences between Bengali and the US
- Identity crisis: Gogol Ganguili
- Transnational feminism
- Historicism: Generation Gaps
- Moral Criticism: The Maverick 1. Kim: Junior year in highschool. Attends a college party and introduces himself as Nikhil.
2. In the fall of sophomore year, he is taking a train home for Thanksgiving and he sits near a girl named Ruth whom he vaguely recognizes from Yale. Break up while she's at Oxford - a girl from Maine with divorced parents and homeschooled. Contradicts Bengali Culture
3. Meets Maxime while working in New York. Moves in with them. "He feels isolated from his parents and from his old life, and he likes the feeling."
-Feels distant at his father's mourning. - Sex Relationship with a married woman, named
- Family Friend's daughter Moushumi
Moushumi confides in Gogol that she never liked any of the Indian men who courted her; because she is a woman, the encouragement to get married had been more intense for her. She reveals the Gogol Identity to a couple who housed her in Paris.
-She has an affair on Mondays and Wednesdays with Dmitiri, highschool friend. by Jhumpa Lahiri -"American-born confused deshi" is "ABCD."
-Multiple relationships with woman in order to
accustom himself to the American culture.
-Woman are utilized
- Love affairs and relationships that ultimately
fail. Ashoke vs Ashima -Transnational Feminism: social, political and economic conditions comprising imperialism; their connections to colonialism and nationalism; the role of gender, the state, race, class, and sexuality in the organization of resistance to hegemonies in the making and unmaking of nation and nation-state.
“critiques Western mainstream feminism for using itself as a referent for communities of colour, and calls for a decentering from hegemonic Western discourse”
- Feminism- Demonstrated as Ashima lives alone How are male and female roles defined?
What constitutes masculinity and femininity?
How do characters embody these traits? “Gender is innate; a social construct, learned behavior, a product of culture and its institutions”