Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Subjunctive Verb Mood
Transcript of Subjunctive Verb Mood
Forms of the subjunctive mood
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
I'm in a subjunctive mood
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Vol XCIII, No. 311
is that form or use of the verb which expresses action or being, not as a fact, but as merely conceived in the mind.
The subjunctive indicates a hypothetical state or a state contrary to reality, such as a wish, a desire, or an imaginary situation
If I were a boy, even just for one day, I'd roll out of bed in the morning and throw on what I wanted and go drink beer with the guys. (Beyoncé Knowles)
Verbs are quite moody
that state or describe a hypothetical situation.
Subjunctive: If I were a butterfly, I would have wings
Indicative: When I was a butterfly in a former life, I had wings.
This verb always takes the form of were, no matter what the subject is.
Mood is the form a verb takes to show how it is to be regarded (e.g., as a fact, a command, a wish, an uncertainty).
The subjunctive can also appear in restrictive clauses after phrases like
I wish that, I hope that, I desire that, or I suggest that
, when the speaker wishes to emphasize the tentative, contingent, suppositional, or unreal nature of that wish, hope, or suggestion.
"I suggest that John arrive on Tuesdays this month."
"I believe that the train arrives on Tuesdays during this month."
"She wishes that Americans in the South were more formal today."
"She thinks that Americans in the South are more formal than most Americans today."
"If he were to bring Martha to Kosovo for the honeymoon, she might be upset."
"If he brings Martha to Kosovo for the honeymoon (and he probably will), she will be upset."
The subjunctive form is used for reporting suggestions.
His boss demanded that he work overtime.
Her teacher suggested that she study for three hours last night.
I prefer that he speak to me directly
The boss desires that all employees be working when she returns.
It is a good idea that you be a fastidious grammar student.
The Subjunctive Mood/Statements Following Wish or If
Instructions: The following sentences contain errors in present and past subjunctive mood. Indicate the correct form of the verb.
Example: The auditor required that my manager (
, compiles) the tax information.
1. If the position (was, were) open today, (would, will) you apply for it?
2. The owners asked that the manager (open, opens) a half hour early during the holiday shopping season.
3. It is necessary that a designer (project, projects) an air of confidence.
4. The production team felt it was important that I (be, am) accessible to them.
3. Would you consider changing the day if Helena (was, were) to agree with me?