Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Original Smoking Myths & Facts
Transcript of Original Smoking Myths & Facts
Effects of smoking on self and others:
impaired lung function
2. blood vessels
3. blood circulation
2. Heart Attacks
Combination of mainstream and sidestream smoke
It is the smoke from the end of a cigarette
It is unfiltered and toxins can be concentrated.
The smoker doesn't get some of the unfiltered toxins
Cigarettes don't always have a clear immediate effect
Why do most people choose to smoke?
Too look cool or to be accepted:
To calm down?
Smoking and Biofeedback video
To lose weight:
Any other reasons????
Do cigarettes actually help someone calm down?
"Smoking is not an efficient way to control body weight, does not help prevent obesity, and could favor visceral fat accumulation and increase the risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes."
Consequences for smoking for body weight, body fat distribution, and insulin resistance;
American Society for Clinical Nutrition, 2008
This means that not only will smoking not help you lose weight, but heavy smoking will actually
your overall metabolism and may even contribute to developing
After 24 hours:
• Your chance of heart attack will decrease.
After 48 hours:
• Your nerve endings will start to regrow.
• Your ability to smell and taste will improve.
After 2 weeks to 3 months:
• Your circulation will improve.
• Your lung function will improve.
• Aerobic activity (e.g., walking) will become easier.
After 1 to 9 months:
• Symptoms including coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath will decrease.
After 20 minutes:
• Your blood pressure will decrease.
• Your heart rate will decrease.
• The temperature of your hands and feet will increase.
After 8 hours:
• The level of carbon monoxide in your blood will drop to normal.
• The level of oxygen in your blood will increase to normal.
However if you decide to quit, here's how it goes....
American Lung Association
After 1 year:
After 5 to 15 years:
Risk of stroke will decrease to that of people who have never smoked
Excess risk of coronary heart disease will decrease to half that of a smoker.
After 10 years:
• Risk of lung cancer will decrease to half that of continuing smokers.
• Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas will decrease.
• Risk of ulcers will decrease.
After 15 years:
• Risk of coronary heart disease will decrease to that of people who have never smoked.
• Risk of death will decrease to near the level of people who have never smoked.
Media or Advertisements:
Many people have used e-cigarettes to quit smoking.
Delivers nicotine without the side-effects of tobacco beacause it does not contain any tobacco.
No studies have been completed about the long-term effects of inhaling pure nicotine.
Remember, people once thoughts cigarettes were good for you!
The nicotine cartridge can cause severe health problems if ingested.
Each e-cigarette has differing amounts of nicotine delivered.
Many feel that the products should be banned because they may be marketed to children by using flavors like chocolate and cherry.