Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Medicine
by Megan Conroy
* Created the first hospitals
* The first known hospital was created in Damascus around 706 C.E.
* Allowed anyone who needed treatment
* By the 10th century, there were more than 5 hospitals in the city of Baghdad.
* Caravans journeyed to remote villages to care for those who were unable to travel.
* Hospital staff could not discriminate against skin color or religion.
* They were large central buildings
Setup of Hospitals
* Separate wards were setup for men and women.
* Inpatient and outpatient wards
* Insane Asylum was located inside
* People who were in for surgery were in one part and people with contagious diseases were in the other.
* Retirement home
Patients & Doctors
* Patients were treated regardless of whether they could pay or not.
* Most hospitals were open to all
* Non-Muslim doctors were very common
* Prisoners were taken to separate hospitals
* Patients were supplied with plenty of water, a bed, and clean sheets.
* Doctors worked certain hours and their payment was set up by the government
During the Medieval times the Muslims made their most important discoveries in this subject. They learned a lot from the Greeks, Mesopotamians, and Egyptians. Muslims improved on this already-know information and transferred it into Arabic. Medicine was a central part of the Islamic culture. Muslims combined science with Islamic beliefs and made many advancements in this field.
* Patients were treated with herbal remedies, drugs, diet or exercise
* Antiseptics were used to clean wounds
* Ointments healed wounds
* Pharmacists made the medication
* Remedies came from herbs, plants, animals, and minerals
* Surgeons removed limbs, tumors, and cataracts
* Very skilled with the eye
* Threads from animal gut were used as stitches
* Opium and Hemlock along with other drugs put people to sleep
* Performed only in life or death circumstances
* During childbirth, women were told to prepare for death
Many discoveries were made by the Muslims regarding medicine. These discoveries later went on to help the Europeans. We may not have the care and treatment that we have nowadays had it not been for the Muslims.
* Was a Persian doctor in the Muslim Empire
* Discovered that infections are caused by bacteria
* Studied smallpox and measles
* Helped doctors treat and diagnose diseases
* Considered the greatest physician in the Muslim world
* Persian Philosopher
* Has been called "the prince of physicians"
* Wrote many medical books
* Most important was,
The Canon of Medicine
* discussed treatment of diseases
* Europeans later used books like this to teach their students
Drugs & remedies
* Poppy Seeds- used as a reliever
* Willow- antiseptic
* Fennel- used to calm people
* Hemp- used during childbirth (seed) and used to cure earaches (juice)
* Garlic- had many uses, was given to people with heart problems
* Mercuric Chloride- disinfectant
* Arab physician
* Born in Damascus in 1213
* First person to describe the circulation of blood
* Challenged previous belief that blood reached the left ventricle in the heart to the right ventricle through invisible passages in the septum, and proved it to be wrong