Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Feudalism
-In exchange for military protection and other services, a lord (a landowner), granted land called a fief. The person receiving the fief was called a vassal.
-Rollo was the first vassal and Charles the Simple was the first Lord in Europe to use feudalism.
Feudalistic Pyramid Social Classes are Well Defined Manors: The Economic Side of Feudalism -The manor was a lord's estate
-The manor system was the basic economic arrangement
-Showed obligations between Serfs and Lords
-Lord provided the Serf with housing, protection, and land
-Serf tended the land and cared for animals, as well as performed other tasks around the estate
-Women also worked
-Serfs received part of the crop for working it A Self-Contained World -Peasants rarely traveled more than 25 miles from their manor
-Manors usually only covered a few miles of land
-Had a Lord's Manor house and workshop
- 15 to 30 families lived in a Manor's village
-Fields, pastures, and woodlands surrounded the manors
-Sometimes a stream went through it
- Self-sufficient community
-Only outside purchases were salt, iron, and a few, unusual objects.
-Crops grown in the manor were grains and vegetables
-800 to 1000 A.D. invaders destroyed the Carolingian Empire.
-Muslims seized Sicily and raided Italy
-In 846, they sacked Rome
-Magyar invaders struck from the east, they terrorized Germany and Italy
-The Vikings came from the north
- Medieval writers classified people into 3 groups: those who fought (Nobles & Knights), those who prayed (men & women of the church), and those who worked (the peasants).
-Social classes were usually inherited
-Serfs were people who could not lawfully leave the place they were born
The Harshness of Manor Life - Peasants payed a high price for living on a Lord's land.
-Payed a tax on grain & marriage
-After they payed the lord, they had to pay to village priest Tithe ( Church Tax)
- This was a tenth of their income