Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
UDL through IT & AT
Transcript of UDL through IT & AT
Cloud Storage / Cloud Collaboration
Review Universal Design for
UDL through IT & AT
Chanda N. Harris
3 Basic Principles for UDL
Per Georgia DOE
Section 300.5 Assistive Technology Device
Any item, piece of equipment or product system…that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of a child with a disability. (abbr. mine)
Section 300.6 Assistive Technology Service
Any service that directly assists a child with a disability with the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device.
i.e. evaluation, purchasing or devices, selections, fitting, repairing, coordinating therapies, training, …(abbr. mine)
Assistive Technology (AT)
Instructional Technology (IT) is a field concerned with improving the efficiency and effectiveness of instruction involving:
* designing instruction (including all the phases of activity from needs assessment to evaluation)
* applying learning theory to instructional design
* conducting process and product evaluation
* managing change and adopting innovations
* building teams and managing projects
* integrating instruction with other factors that influence human performance
* implementing delivery to reach learners when they need it
* using technology in support of the development and delivery of instruction
Reading & Writing
* Visual Thesaurus
How to Create UDL
for My Classroom
Universal Design for Learning
is a set of principles for curriculum development that give all individuals equal opportunities to learn.
UDL provides a blueprint for creating instructional goals, methods, materials, and assessments that work for everyone--not a single, one-size-fits-all solution but rather flexible approaches that can be customized and adjusted for individual needs.
* Chanda N Harris
Prezi: UDL through IT & AT
Transform teaching and learning
through the use of technology
Translation & Dictionary
Reading & Writing (ELA)
Screencast or Webcast
Station Teaching / Flipped Classroom /
Project Based Learning
Providing Opportunities for Positive Practice
* Turn to your 'elbow partner' and define UDL.
* What barriers do you predict will keep teachers from implementing UDL?
* If something 'sparks' your interest -
write it down.
* This is not an all inclusive list, but a starting point to begin thinking about ALL learners.
* Teach the effective usage of available tools by using them.
1. Create the following accounts for your classroom: Edmodo, Class Dojo, Livescribe, Dropbox/Google Docs and Diigo
2. Use them regularly and invite parents to particpate.
3. Link learning aides/tools in your online class spaces, such as, Diigo and Edmodo.
4. Slowly introduce AT/Tech tools in the classroom.
5. Allow ALL students access to ALL tools. They area lifelong learning aides.
7th Grade S.St.
SS7H1 The student will analyze continuity and change in Africa leading to the 21st century.
a. Explain how the European partitioning across Africa contributed to conflict, civil war, and artificial political boundaries.
b. Explain how nationalism led to independence in South Africa, Kenya, and Nigeria.
What is a typical approach to this standard?
Chapter reading in textbooks?
* With your 'elbow partner' - take a piece of paper
and create four columns:
1. Verbs of the standard
3. Action & Expression
I got: Analyze, explain, explain
How can you offer multiple means of representation?
How can you allow for multiple
means of action and expression?
How can you prompt multiple means
For phonemic spelling
Phonemic Dictionary - Print & Online
Word Processing Software
More writing tools...
Raised lined paper
Writing w/ Symbols
Adapted writing utensils
Low Tech Behavior
Colored Overlays -
* Teach student's to use these tools independently - as education moves towards personalized learning the tools will become increasingly vital.