Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Writing a suspense story at KS2
Transcript of Copy of Writing a suspense story at KS2
writer uses to make the reader feel
- desperate to know what happens next!
It's fun to feel scared when you know that
it's all a story ... How to create suspense
1. Use POWERFUL verbs!
2. Use short sentences to build up the tension
3. Use simile to describe
4. Use ellipsis (…) to create the "What happens next?" moment! Listen to writer Malorie Blackman
talking about how she creates tension
in her writing Now try creating suspenseful sentences with the following tense sentence openers
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye ...
My heart pounding in my chest, I thought I could hear ...
As the vast door of the Alien craft opened, I could feel ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/3989.flv The floorboards groaned like a menacing beast. His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured. He could feel the eyes watching him from dark corners ... Simile:
like a menacing beast Short sentences What happens next? The ellipsis creates excitement. Eyes watched him from dark corners ...
4. Is there something hidden in the darkness? Can you keep your reader guessing about what is there ...
5. Use powerful verbs like crept, whispered, raced ... His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured. You are going to listen to a piece of music.
Try to create a suspenseful tale in your mind using
everything you have learned.
Short sentences to create tension. "Hearts pounded. Heads ached. Time ticked"
Use ellipsis to create a page-turning "What happens next?"
Similes and metaphors
Dark shadows. What is lurking, hidden? What strange sound was that?
Use all your senses. Music used in WMM video composed by K MacLeod at http://incompetech.com (Constancy Part 2)
Moving Image used in WMM video from www.dreamscene.org
What hidden sounds can the crew of the space rocket hear?
How is the creature moving? Powerful verb:
groaned Take a moment to consider your scene. Create a suspenseful paragraph using some of the techniques we have talked about so far.
- powerful verbs
- short sentences
- ellipsis - powerful verbs
- short sentences