Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Quotation Marks
By: Mrs. Massey
Using Quotation Marks
1. Comes in pairs. If you open with a quotation mark, you must close with a quotation mark!
2. Capitalize first letter of direct quote when material is a complete sentence.
Used to set off and represent EXACT language!
Used to set off speech in fiction and poetry.
Defense against plagiarism.
John said, "That's my coat."
Jack replied, "I have a coat like yours."
Do not use quotation marks when restating what a speaker says.
That would be a paraphrase or a summary, not a quote.
Mr. Johnson said while he was milking his cows last night, he saw an alien spaceship .
1. I like chips, said Milly.
2. Jason replied, I love pretzels.
1. "I like chips," said Milly.
2. Jason replied, "I love pretzels."
Commas and periods are always placed inside closing quotation marks!
1. Tyler said, Blue is my favorite color.
2. Seth said, Green is a better color.
1. Tyler said
Blue is my favorite color.
2. Seth said
Green is a better color.
Example 2 Answers
Use comma to introduce quotation after dialogue tag.
1. Yes, said Bobby, I love cheese pizza!
2. No, said Anne, I would not like a slice.
I love cheese pizza!
I would not like a slice.
Example 3 Answers
If dialogue is split or broken, use quotation marks to surround each part that is spoken.
1. Please write your name on your paper. Once you finish, please place your paper on my desk, and sit back down quietly, said Mrs. Massey.
2. Mrs. Massey, said Dylan, What happens if we don't finish in time? We should get extra credit in case that happens.
If a quotation is not split or seperated, do not close a quotation mark until the speaker is finished. This may mean several sentences.
Example 4 Answers
Please write your name on your paper. Once you finish, please place your paper on my desk, and sit back down quietly
said Mrs. Massey.
What happens if we don't finish in time? We should get extra credit in case that happens
Correct each of the following sentences in your notebook.
Quotation Quiz 1
1. Is the pizza here? asked Hillary.
2. I love cheese pizzas, said Tom.
3. I don't, said Mark, I wanted pepperoni.
4. Don't fight, said Mom, We can't all get the pizzas that we prefer. You take what you get and don't throw a fit.
5. If you don't want to eat it, said Dad, I will.