Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Connotation and Denotation Notes
Transcript of Connotation and Denotation Notes
1. For rent: This cozy, vintage home has neutral-toned walls and an easy to care for yard. Bargain-priced fixer-upper!
2. For rent: This tiny, old place has bland-painted walls and a cement pad for the backyard. Cheap place that needs a lot of work.
Denotation vs. Connotation
a word's associations; implied meaning; concepts connected with a word; all the ideas loaded with the word
can be positive or negative
both have similar denotations (to observe or see) but they have different connotations.
conveys a more accidental or unintentionally caught idea.
I noticed the man leaving the house. (not really looking for him, but I happened to see him)
has more sneaky connotations. To spy implies observing while trying not to be seen.
I spied the man leaving the house. (quickly and covertly seeing the man, perhaps hiding in order to do so)
How to interpret texts using connotation and denotation
: Identify denotation- what is the basic dictionary meaning?
Example: home= location in which one lives
: Determine connotation- what ideas does the word evoke? What connections or associations do you make? What does the word remind you of?
Example: home- family and loved ones, where one is the most comfortable, "...where the heart is"
Now you try... identify the denotation and connotation of the word in bold, then think of a word with a negative connotation, but the same denotation.
Compare: What are the similarities between the two ads? Differences?
a word's definition
I looked at the sale rack where everything is