Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of UHI
Most bushes are dead, few dead cacti and larger bushes
Urban Heat Island and Local Biodiversity
Urban Heat Island Effect is caused by Urbanization. When cities expand, they lay out man-made infrastructure. This includes concrete, asphalt, brick, and other building materials that absorb. This energy is held for much longer than in nature and released slowly overnight, surrounding the city in an ever present cloud of heat.
Research Question and Hypothesis
Research Questions: Does the Urban Heat Island Effect alter the levels of heat in areas close to the town? Does this heat in turn change the biodiversity of nearby ecosystems?
Hypothesis: The Urban Heat Island Effect decreases biodiversity on the Phoenix Mountain Preserve by making it difficult for heat sensitive organisms to survive.
50 meter measuring tape
Observations and Inferences
Plants are the base
2. (At Phoenix Mountain Preserve)
Count amount of Burr Sage in a measured 176.625 square meter area.
1. Construct circle graphs for data organization
3. Record data on graphs.
4. Travel to Tonto National Forest
5. Repeat steps 1-3 at Tonto National Forest
6. Gather temperature data from Weather.com
The data suggests that the Burr Sage closer to urban areas have less population density than those far away from the city.
Our hypothesis was supported by the data.
Huge difference between the Tonto and the Phoenix Preserves
Other factors need to be explored
Possible errors are:
Temperature data taken from weather.com
Other factors increasing temperature
Higher precipitation in Tonto
Not too stressful
How to work with a deadline
How to plan an accurate experiment
How to make a formal research hypothesis
How to communicate in a team
Enters waterways and soil
Many undefined factors