Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of TOK Presentation
photo editing software
in ad campaigns ethical? Knowledge Issues - What are the implications of using photo editing software?
- What are the benefits of using photo editing software?
- How does the use of photo editing software affect body image?
- What is the delineation between the creation and the destruction of art?
- How does the use of photo editing software on a photo affect its meaning? Essential Terms - Photo Editing Software: the alteration of photographic images of the
human form using contemporary means of digital editing and
- Ad Campaigns: an organized series of photos designed to achieve a
(social, political, or) commercial goal.
- Ethical: conforming to a system of moral principles based off of
the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human
actions or a particular group.
These are derived from the branch of philosophy dealing with values relating
to human conduct, with respect to the relative rightness and wrongness of
certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and
ends of such actions. What are the implications of using photo editing software? The use of controversial techniques such as:
- Drastic reduction in size
- Lightening of skin
- Enhancement of physical features What is the delineation between the creation and the destruction of art? TOK Presentation Peyton Anstine, Hannah Gander & Raelissa Glennon-Zukoff An in-depth look into the considerations of
altering the human form
in contemporary media formats. What are the benefits of using photo editing software? How does the use of photo editing software affect body image? How does the use of photo editing software on a photo affect its meaning? Areas of Knowledge ART ETHICS Ways of Knowing REASON PERCEPTION The Evolution of Beauty Fotoshop by Adobé - Unrealistic standards
- Perfection-based attitudes
- Alteration of perception of
the human body
- The basis for insecurity leading to
medical and psychological issues Issues associated with digital alteration Associated with causing: Real Life Situation Peyton's Perspective Hannah's Perspective Raelissa's Perspective In the United States nearly 10 million women and 1 million men suffer from anorexia and bulimia.
Men are less likely to seek treatment for eating disorders because it's perceived as a women's disease
The mortality rate for eating disorders amongst females ages 15-24 is 12 times higher than all other causes of death. Medical and Psychological Issues Include... “I feel about Photoshop the way some people feel about abortion. It is appalling and a tragic reflection
on the moral decay of our society …unless I need it, in which case, everybody be cool.” - Tina Fey Perception is the ability to view the world through different lenses. It can be altered depending on different circumstances. Can we really tell? Constant exposure to altered pictures can result in the altered reality being the norm. We are at risk of altering our perception of what is normal and therefore, we lose the ability to distinguish between what is real and what has been changed. Instead, we tailor our perception of reality to work with societal expectations, even if they are unrealistic. Throughout history the human form has undergone drastic changes within its depictions in the realm of art. Greek statues, for example, displayed a strong focus on muscle groups, while paintings from the Renaissance period often pulled focus to facial features and showed a softer form.
Which leaves the question: Is the use a Photoshop a modern artistic form of expression or simply a deconstruction of human characteristics? - Removes imperfections
- Hair and makeup artists save time and energy
- No need for surgery or other tangible enhancements
- Allows for alteration of the human form without permanent changes
- Increased profits for companies who employ the use of photo editing software (since it appears that the image of perfection sells products well)
- Awareness of use can reduce pressure to conform
- Example: Law from French Parliament I feel that Photoshop has its uses in terms of practicality and time
management, however the body ideal that its extensive use has now popularized is highly
harmful to both men and
women alike. A sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense (something that supports a conclusion or explains a fact).
Also: the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways. How does the use of digital alteration change our perception (in this case how we perceive the human form)? Is our reason powerful enough to overcome the effects of Photoshop? Tina Fey on Photoshop. . . “Feminists do the best Photoshop because they leave the meat on your bones. They don't change your size or your skin color. They leave in your disgusting knuckles, but they may take out some armpit stubble. Not because they're denying its existence, but because they understand that it’s okay to make a photo look as if you were caught on your best day in the best light.”- Tina Fey The use of Photoshop in print campaigns or
Specifically, Adele's Vogue cover from
March of 2011. - Vogue has been printing issues since 1910.
- A leaders in magazine sales, Vogue sells approximately 360, 000 copies a month or 4.32 million copies a year.
- In their September 2012 issue, Vogue featured 584 pages of advertisements and grossed a profit of $92.1 million.
- This particular cover sparked controversy over its highly edited content and gives insight into other instances of Photoshop use and misuse. Adele at the 2011 VMA's Adele on Vogue from March 2011 I feel that Photoshop viewed
purely as an art form is fairly
ethical but instead edited photos
are perceived as the perfect
human body which has shown
to be harmful to
all genders. Bibliography ETHICAL NOT ETHICAL "Entertainment." CBS Boston. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Nov. 2012. <http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/14/adeles-vogue-magazine-cover-causing-controversy/>.
Fey, Tina. Bossypants. New York: Little, Brown and, 2011. Print.
"Lady Gaga's Vogue September Cover... before and after Photoshop." My Fashion Life RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Nov. 2012. <http://www.myfashionlife.com/archives/2012/08/31/lady-gagas-vogue-september-cover-before-and-after-photoshop/>.
"VOGUE." VOGUE. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Nov. 2012. <http://vogue.tumblr.com/>.
JesseRosten. "Fotoshop by AdobÃ©." YouTube. YouTube, 09 Jan. 2012. Web. 25 Nov. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vVUIYOmJM>.
MDK170. "Time-lapse Beauty / Dove Evolution Commercial." YouTube. YouTube, 28 Mar. 2011. Web. 25 Nov. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9Y7xZ7amM>.
Sieczkowski, Cavan. "Lady Gaga 'Vogue' Cover Photo Retouched? Magazine Takes Flak After Allegations Of Photoshop Surface (PHOTOS, VIDEO)." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 31 Aug. 2012. Web. 25 Nov. 2012. <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/lady-gagas-vogue-cover-retouched-video-_n_1846998.html>. Clearly, Lady Gaga doesn't mind Photoshop being used on her photos. Lady Gaga on Photoshop. . . Who better to comment than the edited women herself? A Male Perspective Body image dissatisfaction of western men has tripled in the past 25 years -- 15% - 45%
-17% of men are dieting
-10% of reported cases of
anorexia nervosa are male
-3% of adolescent boys use
muscle enhancing drugs
Deborah Schooler's "real body" issue
Desire to look perfect Use of weight-gain supplements,
anabolic steroids, and plastic
and cosmetic surgery -- the most
common is liposuction.
Increase in male cosmetic and
grooming industry sales
Millions of ad flooded magazines
sold each year
November 2004 Mason High