Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Pronouns
Pronouns and Antecedents
A subject pronoun is a pronoun that replaces a subject.An object pronoun is a pronoun that replaces an object.
Some subject pronouns are I, you, he , she it, we, you, and they.
Some object pronouns are me, you, him, her, it, us, you, and them.
A pronoun is a word that replace of one or more nouns.
An antecedent is the word the pronoun replaces.
Let's try some examples
Find the pronoun and draw an arrow to it's antecedent.
1. The knights kept the castle safe; they fought off intruders.
2. The laddies of a manor watched the children; they also kept things running.
3. Peasants farmed the land; they also did craft work.
4. William the Conquer was a famous English King; he fought for the crown against his cousin.
5. The Midevil castle surved a a military base, it also surved as a home.
6. Peasants lived in huts, they went to the castle for protection.
7. The kings ruled a huge area of land, but they gave it to others to control.
8. Th female peasants had the same jobs as the ladies of a manor, except they worked the fields also.
9. In Midevil times Vikings attacked Europe, they took over land and robbed vilages.
10. The pope had a huge role in Midevil Europe, he crowned someone Holy Roman Emperor.
Subject and object pronouns.
In this unit we will be learning about pronouns, which you will be learning the meaning of in lesson one. There are eight lessons. Hope you enjoy.
An example is
The atmosphere is full of gasses, they keep us safe.
The pronoun is they and the antecedent is gasses.
is the biggest layer of earth,
extends for thousands of miles.
The antecedent is atmosphere. The pronoun is it.
The ocean is full of
all live in different habitats.
The antecedent is sea life. The pronoun is they.
consits of many parts,
all work together.
The antecedent is water cycle. The pronoun is they.
of the ocean are strong, you might of felt
when being pulled by rip currents.
the antecedent is currents. The pronoun is them.
Examples Lesson two.
Me is an object pronoun.
He is a subject pronoun.
God gave me
Them is an object pronoun.
love me too.
They is an object pronoun.
and everyone else.
You and me are both object pronouns.
Practice Questions lesson two.
Now you try. Name the pronoun or pronouns object or subject.
1. He conquered land for the Romans.
2. The Romans killed him for it.
3. He loved Cleopatra.
4. Cleopatra fled to Egypt after he died.
5. The murderers of him were fought by his son.
6. He fought with Mark Anthony against the murderers.
7. Cleopatra fell in love with him.
8. They went to parties dressed as gods.
9. The Romans arrested her.
10. They killed him.
A possessive pronoun is a pronoun that shows ownership.
Used before nouns
My, our, your his, her, its, their.
mine, yours, his,hers, its, ours, yours, theirs.
*Don't confuse possessive pronouns with contractions. Some contractions are it's, they're, you're.
Let's try some examples
Examples lesson two.
1. God showed
love for the Isrelites by not giving up on them.
The possessive pronoun is his. It is God possessing love.
2. Moses gave the Isrealites
The possessive pronoun is his.
3. The power of God strengthened
The possessive pronoun is their.
4. The Isrealites lost
trust in God when they worshiped false gods.
The possessive pronoun is their.
love for God and he shows
The possessive pronouns are your and his.
Now let's try some examples.
The love of God is
. The possessive pronouns are mine and yours.
is the possessive pronoun.
shield has a unicorn on it.
is the possessive pronoun.
? It has a lion on it.
is a possessive pronoun.
shield will win.
is the possessive pronoun.
Lesson Three - Questions.
Let's try some questions. . Find the possessive pronoun and tell what it is possessing.
1. That science book is his.
2. It's his signature.
3. His weather homework is in it.
4. Your book is over there.
5. That book is mine, not yours.
6. Where is your science project?
7. It's at home, where's yours?
8. On my desk, inside my science book.
9. Our desk is the one with the science book in
10. Where is your desk?
Lesson 4: Pronouns after Linking verbs
Before you can know what a pronoun after a linking verb is you must know what a linking verb is.
A linking verb or be verb show a state of being. It links the subject of the sentence to an adjective or another noun.
Common being and linking verbs!
am are were be been look feel smell
is was seem being appear taste
* This chart is very important to know*
Now lets learn about pronouns after linking verbs.
You know that a linking verb joins the subject to a noun or adjective.
A. pronoun can replace the noun being linked.
The soccer player
Were is the linking verb linking players to she.
*Remember a way to check if the sentence is correct is tho flip it around.
She was the soccer player, makes sense right.*
Let's Try some example.
Were is linking performers to they.
The students performing " Mam in the Mirror"
the students preforming "Man in the Mirror".
Were is linking students to we.
The experienced dancers
the experienced dancers.
Appear is linking dancers to they.
The most experienced performer
the most experienced performer.
Is is linking performer and you.
Now you try.
Find the linking verb and what two words it is linking together.
1. The philosophers were they.
2. The Athenians were we.
3. The Spartans are you.
4. The goddess of love is she.
5. The god of war is he.
6. The center of culture and education in ancient Greece was it.
7. Goddess of grain is she
8. The temple to Athena was it.
9. The winners were we.
10. With us were they.
Pronoun in Compound.
Two or more subjects joined by and
or a comma is a compound subject. Well it's the same with pronouns. Two or more
pronouns joined by and or commas make up pronouns in compound subjects.
Example: He and she love Taylor Swift.
The same thing with objects. The only change is that you use
Example: The prize of concert tickets was given to him, her, and me.
Examples Lesson Five!
were monks yesterday.
He and she are pronouns in compound.
He, she, and you
talked when you were not supposed to.
He, she, and you are pronouns in compound.
You, he, and I
are making our inlumenated manuscrips quietly.
You, he ,and I are pronouns in compound.
Questions lesson five.
Now that you got the hang of it let's try some questions.
Add the correct subject or object pronoun to the compound.
1. ________, he, and she love religion.
2. Jesus gave his life for ________ and me.
3. He, ______ , and I read more about Moses.
4. Moses gave him, and ________ the ten comandments.
5. The greeks gave you, __________, and them science and math.
6. He, she, and ________ love greek mythology.
7. The Romans copied us, them, and, __________.
8. God loves you, her, and __________.
9. Monks wrote books about him, her, and, ___________.
10. The Midevil people helped him, __________, and I.
Lesson six :
Using who, whom, and whose.
When you use the word who you replace it with a a subject pronoun.
example: Who is the greatest singer?
She is the greatest singer.
When you use whom you replace it with an
example: Whom are you seeing?
I am seeing her.
Whose is a possessive pronoun
it gives possession of a noun. You replace it with a object pronoun.
Example: Whose song are you singing?
I am singing her song.
Whose class do you enjoy most?
I enjoy her class most.
Whom is your favorite king?
My favorite King is him.
1. ________ won the Westing Game.
2. ___________ clues are these?
3. __________ won the race?
4. _________ is the murderer?
5. ________ the burglar?
6. ________ note is this in the elevator?
7._________ is the bookie?
8. ________ clock is that?
9._________ killed Sandy?
10. _________ is the inventor?
Fill in the correct word.
Who, whom, whose, or who's
Leason one answers.
1. Knights, they
2. Laddies, they
3. Peasants, they
4. William the Conquer , they
6. Peasants, they
7. Kings, they
8. Female Peasants, They
9. Vikings, they
Lesson Seven: Using We and Us with Nouns.
When we us "we" and "us"
as emphasis to a noun it depends on what type of noun for each word.
With a subject:
We fans celebrate the athletes
After a linking verb:
The most excited were we
With a direct object:
The team needs us fans to cheer them on.
After a preposition:
The star gave us boys an autographed jersey.
Examples: Lesson seven
The teachers need
Us is emphasizing students.
are the smartest.
We is emphasizing students
Insert we or us with the correct word, or location
. Example: _____ girls are better.
We girls are better.
1. _________ desciples are followers of Christ.
2. God gave _______ people this wonderful world.
3. ______ children are interested in nutrition.
4. The teachers gave ____________ girls extra credit.
5. ______ students love learning spanish.
6. The spanish teacher gave _______ bilinguals a project on our family.
7. The best were ________ fluent spanish speakers.
8. The teacher gave extra credit to __________ students.
9. _________ students studied time in spanish.
10. The teacher gave __________ boys homework.
You should know by now that pronouns take the place of their antecedent. However , some pronouns don't have definite antecedents, these pronouns are called indefinite pronouns. Plural verbs must have a plural indefinite pronoun. Same with singular verbs.
Someone took my book.
anybody everybody somebody
anyone everyone someone
anything everything something
Someone is going to the concert.
Few are going to the concert.
Nobody is in charge of the Israelite nation.
Several are in charge of the Israelite nation.
Fill in the correct verb.
Lesson eight questions.
1. All of the sixth grade (are, is) learning about nutrition in Health.
2. Each food (is, are) different in proteins and sugars.
3. Both proteins and fruits (are, is) in the food pyramid.
4.Many of us ( are, is) excited about the change from the food pyramid to the my plate.
5. Some (is, are) not as excited.
Lesson Eight questions continued.
Choose the correct indefinite pronoun.
6. Dose (Anyone, All) have the script?
7. Are ( all, each) of you playing the mother?
8. Did ( everyone, all) remember their props?
9. ( Several, Each) of you have forgotten.
10. (Everyone, All) preformed wonderful.
Answers Lesson Two.
10. Subject, object
Answers Lesson Three.
1. His, book
2. His, signature
3. His, homework
4. Your, book
5. Mine, book
6. Your, project
7. Your, project
8. My, desk; My, book
9. Our, desk
10. Your, desk
Lesson Four answers.
1.Were; philosophers , they
2. Were; Athenians, we
3. Are; Spartans, you
4. Is; goddess, she
5. Is; god, he
6. Was; center, it
7. Is; goddess, she
8. Was; temple, it
9. Were; winners, we
10. Were; us, they
Answers lesson four.
Answers Lesson Six.