Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Psychiatry, Psychiatrists, Psychiatric Hospitals
Transcript of Psychiatry, Psychiatrists, Psychiatric Hospitals
What is psychiatry?
-Science of diagnosing, treating and preventing mental disorders
-the branch of medicine for disorders of the mind
People seek psychiatric help for many reasons. The problems can be sudden, such as a panic attack, frightening hallucinations, thoughts of suicide, or hearing "voices." Or they may be more long-term, such as feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or anxiousness that never seem to lift or problems functioning, causing everyday life to feel distorted or out of control.
Psychiatry comes from Greek words 'psyche', meaning mind or soul, and 'iatreia', meaning healing.
18th century people saw mental illness as demonic possession rather then a treatable sickness
Who are psychiatrists?
What are psychiatric hospitals?
-"Psychiatry." Britannica School, Encyclopedia Britannica, 17 Dec. 2015
Accessed 4 May. 2017.