Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Flavr Savr Final
Transcript of Flavr Savr Final
- an anti sense gene is a gene which produces RNA
The act of transferring a gene form one organism to another, means that the Flavr Savr is a transgenic organism. The Flavr Savr's safety evaluation was completed on may 17 1992 and it had been approved by the FDA.
The FDA also stated that special labeling for this tomato wasn't a requirement because they still had the basic essential characteristics of a non genetically modified tomato. The modifications on the tomato were completed and it finished its testing for commercial use. Unfortunately the tomato was unable to actually achieve a higher profitability Due to the side effect that caused a loss in strength of the tomato. However... someone decided to make a tomato paste that used the same modifications as the Flavr Savr. This tomato paste actually was extremely successful because it cut production costs by 20%. It also sold 1.8 million cans between 1996 to 1999. At one point this tomato paste outsold the regular tomato pastes until sales fell in November of 1998. The people who benefit most are farmers who get to sell and transport their produce for longer periods of time. People who live farther away will also benefit because the tomato can arrive on time before it rots. no significant threat to the environment or society. If it weren't for the side effect causing the tomato to become unusually soft, the Flavr Savr would have definitely been a great improvement to to farming industry. Only one modification...
- easier to harvest
- can travel farther
- last longer on store shelves before rotting and being thrown away Scientists were successful in delaying the plant to rot but it caused another unwanted side effect that caused the tomato to become unusually soft.
- this side effect made the tomato harder to transport successfully, and unfortunately was the reason that this tomato was unable to make a profit. ? How was it modified? In order for scientists to achieve their goals, they had
to take anti sense gene, and implant it into the tomato. Modification Detailed Who Benefits? What is The FDA? FDA means US food and drug administration. they Assure public safety by assessing the dangers of different foods and drugs.
"Flavr Savr." Wikepedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2012. <en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavr_Savr >.
"Information: Safety Assessment of the Flavr Savrâ„¢ Tomato." Health Canada. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2012. <www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/gmf-agm/appro/favr_savtm_tomato-tomate_flavr_savrmd-eng.php >.
Krieger, Elysia, Allen Edwards, Larry Gilbertson, and James K. Roberts. "The Flavr Savr Tomato, an Early Example of RNAi Technology ." Hortscience. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2012. <hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/43/3/962.full >.
Lyons, J.M. . "The Case Of The Flavr Savr Tomato." California Agriculture. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2012. <ucanr.org/repository/CAO/landingpage.cfm?article=ca.v054n04p6&fulltext=yes >.
"The Failure of the first GM Foods." Golden Harvest Organics. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2012. <www.ghorganics.com/failure%20of%20the%20first%20GM%20foods.htm >.
"What We Do." U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2012. <http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/whatwedo/default.htm>. Works Cited