Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Themes in Contemporary Art: Identity
Transcript of Themes in Contemporary Art: Identity
What is identity?
How artists work out their identity: gender/sexuality, ethnicity/ race, communal/ individual
Identity in Art History
"The ways in which humans understand themselves, or concieve of their identity, are constantly changing."
"A term used to refer to the beliefs and activities of those who target racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice and work for social rights and economic parity."
Identity is Constructed
Otherness and representation
Identity is Communal or Relational
social and cultural identity: Carrie Mae Weems: http://carriemaeweems.net/galleries/kitchen-table.html
"Identity is the most public aspect of self" - Angela Sabates
The Fluidity of Identity
Essentialism- overly generalized or stereotyped notions of identity ex) Kerry James Marshall
Diversity- internal differences within community ex) Lyle Ashton Harris
Hybridity- When cultures influence one another ex) Hung Liu and Will Wilson