Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
En340 Chaps 10-11 Verbals and Problems with Verbals
Transcript of En340 Chaps 10-11 Verbals and Problems with Verbals
Infinitives (function as nouns, adjectives, adverbs, complimentaries)
Gerunds (function as nouns)
Participles (function as adjectives)
to get a beer
He went to get a beer.
He wanted to get a beer. Pattern 7
The place to get a beer is Joe's bar. Pattern 3
He is going to sneeze in a few seconds. Pattern 6
Function as nouns.
Running is my hobby.
Pattern 3. Subject is the gerund "running."
Functions as adjectives
The man standing in the garden is tall.
I shot the man standing in the garden.
I shot the man, standing in the garden.
YOU TRY: Identify the verbal and tell me the pattern of the main clause:
1. Bill decided to think about the decision.
2. My terrible parents beat me to teach me a lesson in respect.
3. Collecting dryer lint is his strange hobby.
4. Weeping in the corner, the robot rusted.
Dangling Participle: Driving drunk, the police pursued the man.
Dangling gerund: After hiking all day, our backpacks were heavy.
To make a good cake, the flour must be sifted.
Dangling Elliptical Clause:
While picking his nose, the disgusted teacher ordered the student to stop.
Identify the problem and fix it:
1. After being detained for three hours,
the police finally released my client.
2. While growing up in Ohio, my hero was
Bozo the Clown.
3.Before completing the exam, the evaluation
form must be filled out.
4. Holding the gun tightly, the target came into view,and the assassin fired.
Neil, what were you thinking?
What is the difference?
His hobby is running.
His engine is running.
Problems with verbals. THE DANGLING MOD
Jim walked down High Street.
Eddie George's Bar came into view.
Walking down High Street, Eddie George's Bar came into view.
Growing up in Michigan, my goal was to become a lawyer.
After being detained for three hours, the police finally released my client.
Other problems with verbals
We found that Bob picking his nose was a distraction during the trial.
What is wrong with that sentence?
LACK OF POSSESSIVE APOSTROPHE WITH GERUND
When items occur in a list, they must all be of the same grammatical category:
I enjoy running, swimming, and to jog.
Two gerunds, one infinitive. You lose.
PARALLELISM WITH CORRELATIVE CONJUNCTIONS
Not only did Bob kill his mother, but also his father was stabbed by him.
Bob not only
his mother but also
to quickly run
to the store.
Each student who enters Columbus Alternative High School excels in college level coursework and graduates from CAHS with scholarships,
passionate, open-minded and prepared to thrive as a contributing global citizen in college and beyond.