Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of World Religions
Teachings of Siddhartha Gautama:
...Achievement is selflessness
...Worth is self-mastery
...Quality is seeking to serve others
...Precept is continual awareness
...Medicine is emptiness of everything
...Action is not conforming with the world's ways
...Magic is transmuting the passions
...Generosity is non-attachment
...Goodness is a peaceful mind
...Patience is humility
...Effort is not concerned with results
...Meditation is a mind that lets go
...Wisdom is seeing through appearances." - Atisha
-4th Largest Religion in the world
-In 6th century BCE (Before Common Era),
Siddhartha Gautama was fasting and meditating
under a tree and claimed to have attained
"Enlightenment" and assumed the title
Lord Buddha - "The one who has awakened."
4 Noble Truths:
1. All life is suffering.
2. Suffering is caused by your cravings and desires.
3. The ending of suffering is possible by giving up your desires.
4. Following the eightfold path will end all pain.
1. Right understanding of reality.
2. Right thought. (Renounce desires, don't hate.)
3. Right speech. (Don't lie.)
4. Right actions. (Don't kill a living creature, steal, get drunk, bad sexual acts.)
5. Right occupation. (Get a job that won't harm anyone.)
6. Right effort. (Be perfect.)
7. Right meditation. (Free from desire or sadness.)
8. Right concentration. (4 degrees of meditation.)
Humans are descendants of the gods
Harmony with the universe
Balance of good & evil
Live a good life = long life
Believed to be about 35,000 yrs. old
Some believe it to be a direct descendant of Celtic and Druidic religions
Focus on earth/nature, phases of the moon, the goddess in everything
Reincarnation, Enlightenment, Uncut Hair
Non-violence, Truth, Non-stealing, Celibacy, Non-possessiveness
(Don't harm a living thing - even airborne microbes!)
Reincarnation until Nirvana, Enlightenment, Karma, we become gods.
Reincarnation, Karma, One god "Brahman" includes many gods. Choose! Everyone is eventually "saved".
No god (except Confucius was deified)
Heaven, but good life on earth is focus
Hare Krishna - chant name
All religions that believe in a god are included/accepted.
All the great religious teachers are sent from God.
Following any religion that believes in God will get us all to the same place.
God loves black people
God is Emperor of Ethiopia
Africa is heaven on Earth
-Nailed his 95 Thesis to the door of the church in 1517
-Birth of "Protestantism"
-Now over 33,000 Protestant denominations, including:
- Catholic Church
- The Latin Church
- Eastern Catholic Churches
- Eastern Orthodox Church
Church of the East
- Pre-Lutheran Protestants
- Anglican Communion
- Other Anglican Churches
- Continental Reformed churches
- Congregationalist Churches
- Pietists and Holiness Churches
- Spiritual Baptists
- Apostolic Churches
- Neo-Charismatic Churches
- African Initiated Churches
- United and uniting churches
- Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
- Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement
- Millerites and comparable groups
- Sabbath-Keeping churches, Adventist
- Sabbath-Keeping churches, Non-Adventist
- Sunday Adventists
- Sacred Name Groups
- Christian Identity
- Latter Day Saints
- Oneness Pentecostalism
- Unitarianism and Universalism
- Bible Student groups
- Christian Science
- Other non-Trinitarians
Messianic Judaism / Jewish Christians
Syncretistic religions incorporating elements of Christianity
1. There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is his prophet.
2. Pray 5 times a day facing Mecca. (The birthplace of Muhammad.)
3. Give charity (2.5%) to the poor.
4. Fast from dawn to sunset during the month of Ramadan (July 8 - Aug 7, the month the Qur'an was revealed.)
5. If able , make a pilgrimage to Mecca.
-Any believer of Muhammad
can become a Caliph
-Only Muhammad's direct
descendents can be Caliph
-Can be from either group
-Mystics which live simple lives
focused on spiritual life
(ex. Whirling Dervishes)
(Nation of Islam)
World Pop. = 7,021,836,029
16.83% Roman Catholic
11.17% Other Religions
Descendants of Abraham's son Isaac settled in Israel and became the Jews
Descendants of Abraham's son Ishmael settled in the Desert of Paran (Mecca) and became the Arabs (90% of which are Muslims)
Israel exchanged hands several times (Romans, Ottoman Empire, British rule, Jewish/Palestinian territories)
Dome of the Rock/Temple Mount (Western Wall) one of the most contested sites in all the world