Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Girls Studies
What is Girls Studies?
Why Study Girls?
Are boys getting 'left behind'?
matters. Girls and boys are treated differently and act differently (in schools, homes, playgrounds). Studying the behaviour of girls helps us understand the specific experiences of girls.
From a feminist perspective, we can also study the harmful effects of normativity on boys/men (more to come on this)
negative body image
"a gender script is already being imposed, often unconsciously, by adults who replicate standards and assumptions that seem too common to question" (p. 7).
: assuming that certain qualities are natural in men and women (and that these genders are necessarily tied to biological sex)
Mixed Messages (conflicting messages)
sexy and beautiful vs slut
intelligent vs pushy or bitchy
beautiful for who you are vs racists and heterosexist beauty norms
you can be anything vs wage inequality and under representation
is often imposed because of unconscious......