Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Chapter 6: Philippine Values
Transcript of Chapter 6: Philippine Values
What is Value?
- is the regard that something is held
- to deserve the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.
In Maintaining SIR
"When people are divided in many ways, How many harmony, or at least the appearance of harmony, be maintained?
The Substitution of an inoffensive expression for a word or phrase which may otherwise offend or suggest something unpleasant.
Traditional Philippine Values:
SIR: Smooth Interpersonal Relationships
During its centuries of journey, the Philippines witness itself a cultural and
racial hybrid, when the different cultures introduced as people coming from
West and East. In the archipelago, when east meets west, they reconcile and
co-exist thus make the culture of the Philippines colourful and exuberant.
On analyzing the Filipinos national character, Herrington (2001)，on his
website of “Living, Retiring, Traveling, Business in the Philippines”, points put
that, under the impact of multi-cultural influence, the dominant cultural value of
"smooth interpersonal relationships" (SIR), permeates and guides the daily lives
and behaviors of Filipinos. The goal of preserving harmony between individuals,
among family members, and among the groups and divisions of society is
embodied in the core cultural value.
Willingness to be one with the group in its opinions and decisions.
3. Go Between
Used when there is a desire to avoid personal confrontation
De Guzman Celine
Utang na Loob
-In English means "Debt
-Is response to a favor of help extended to a person that is impossible to quantify. -Failure to respond will hurt the person's feelings and insults.
- Hiya is loosely translated into English as shame, a state of dishonor, disgrace or humiliation (Morales & Gilner, 2009).
- “Shame is a powerful, social emotion. … it may have powerful psychological and social functions. … It is learned that as we learn the expectations and standards imposed upon us by others, and amplified as we develop expectations of ourselves. It is strongly rooted in culture and language.”
- it makes a person nonchalant, detached, indifferent, nonplussed should anything go wrong, and hence conducive to peace and tranquillity.
- Helping one another
- Being heroes to one another
Operational Features of Value
Status rather than function
- One's position in society
- One's role in the society
Particularistic Rather than Universal Norms
Fatalistic Rather Than Manipulative Attitudes
Authoritarian rather than Libertarian Norms
- reward for seeing an important ask properly performed.
"A public office is a public trust."
Particularistic value imply that one's first loyalty is to the subgroup of which he/she is part.
It refers to a person's unquestioning
acceptance of results which come from following the customary patterns of life.
*mostly found in rural areas*
try to control their destiny. They do not accept the caprices of nature but seek to manipulate it and other people.
This individual does not attribute failure to fate, but poor planning.
is another name for group conformity.
A value preference for authoritarian values
is not inconsistent with modern
business and government and
may help in maintaining stability in government.
ex. They hope for rain, but are not interested in building irrigation ditches.
An elite in political and sociological theory, is a small group of people who control a
disproportionate amount of wealth or political power.
Value change and Persistence
A new society
means people with a new outlook, new attitudes, new values, and new behavior.
Female vs. Male Responsibility
In the Philippine society, male and female are treated equally.
Value limitations and Potentials for development.
Some people who are more into
following the Philippine values are the people who are more likely to be abused.
Ex: A father making the decision of what his daughter will get for college. ( Utang na loob)
Nationalism vs. Particularism
Nationalism - Loyalty and devotion to a particular nation.
Particularism Value- Has a right to promote its own interests and especially independence.