Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Names/Nombres by Julia Alvarez
Transcript of Copy of Names/Nombres by Julia Alvarez
Essay Personal Essay
What is it???? Read Names/Nombres p. 134 Review 1.If you were in Alvarez’s position as a newcomer, do you think you might fit in as well as she did? Explain.
2. Where is the Alvarez family from?
3. Why did Mrs. Alvarez first tell the ladies at the hospital that her oldest daughter’s name was Maureen?
4. Why did Alvarez find it difficult to introduce her relatives to her friends?
5.Why do you think some people permanently change their names when they come to the United States, while others don’t?
6.The Writer’s Style In this essay Alvarez uses humor to deal with otherwise serious topics. Why do you think she does that? How does humor help get her ideas across? For each vocabulary word write the definition
Write a synonym
Write an antonym Write this down...
A personal essay is a short form of nonfiction that expresses the author's thoughts and feelings on a topic. Often these are told like a story. What happens to Julia Alvarez’s family in the beginning of the story? What was Julia like in high school? How do you know? What does Julia Alvarez tell about her sister Mauricia’s name? Why did Julia’s sister Ana have the easiest time in the United States? How does Julia Alvarez feel about her experiences as an immigrant? Support your answer. Questions: 1,3 & 5