Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Stanley Fish: "Is There a Text in This Class?"
Transcript of Stanley Fish: "Is There a Text in This Class?"
is ... TEXT WORLD ARTIST READER - Narratology
- New Criticism
- Biographical Criticism
- Psychoanalytical Criticism
- New Historicism
- Gender Studies
- (Post-)Colonial Studies
- Reader Response "Objective": Expressive: Mimetic: Pragmatic: Some Theoretical Approaches Text Determinism:
Meaning = authorial intention Relativism:
Meaning = multiple, subjective The Death
of the Author What is an
Author? Author-Function ≠ deterministic
≠ relativist Theoretical Frameworks Text STRUCTURALISM POSTSTRUCTURALISM Text Advantages:
- A 'scientific' method for analysing text
- A methodology that connects disciplines
- It takes context into account Problems:
- Subjectivity of readings
- Relies on 'artificial' oppositions
- Reading from outside the net Poststructuralism Literary Theory 1960s 1970s - ? First Day of Class Fish's pragmatism:
'There is no text' Forgotten Book Interpretive Communities Is There A Text
In This Class? - Context
- Narrative Schemata
- etc... Conventions What stuff are interpretive communities made of? - Share values, assumptions, reading strategies
- No determinism, no relativism
- No more subject(reader)/object(text)
- Everything's in context
- Texts have no holes
- Readerly competence
- Uncle Tom's Cabin