Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Stanley Fish: "Is There a Text in This Class?"
Transcript of Stanley Fish: "Is There a Text in This Class?"
- New Criticism
- Biographical Criticism
- Psychoanalytical Criticism
- New Historicism
- Gender Studies
- (Post-)Colonial Studies
- Reader Response
Some Theoretical Approaches
Meaning = authorial intention
Meaning = multiple, subjective
of the Author
What is an
- A 'scientific' method for analysing text
- A methodology that connects disciplines
- It takes context into account
- Subjectivity of readings
- Relies on 'artificial' oppositions
- Reading from outside the net
1970s - ?
First Day of Class
'There is no text'
Is There A Text
In This Class?
- Narrative Schemata
What stuff are interpretive communities made of?
- Share values, assumptions, reading strategies
- No determinism, no relativism
- No more subject(reader)/object(text)
- Everything's in context
- Texts have no holes
- Readerly competence
- Uncle Tom's Cabin