Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Building suspense in a short, scary story
Transcript of Building suspense in a short, scary story
in a short, scary story
photo credit Nasa / Goddard Space Flight Center / Reto Stöckli
Talk to your partner
What is Suspense?
Suspense is a technique that a
writer uses to make the reader feel
- desperate to know what happens next!
It's fun to feel scared when you know that
it's all a story ...
How to create suspense
1. Use short sentences to build up the tension
2. Use ellipsis (…) to create the "What happens next?" moment!
3. Use simile and metaphor to describe
Now try creating suspenseful sentences with the following tense sentence openers
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye ...
My heart pounding in my chest, I thought I could hear ...
As the vast door of the Haunted House opened, I could feel ...
The floorboards groaned like a menacing beast. His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured. He could feel the eyes watching him from dark corners ...
like a menacing beast
What happens next? The ellipsis creates excitement.
Eyes watched him from dark corners ...
4. Is there something hidden in the darkness? Can you keep your reader guessing about what is there ...
5. Use powerful verbs like crept, whispered, raced ...
His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured
Take a moment to consider this scene. Create a suspenseful paragraph with the person next to you, using some of the techniques we have talked about so far.
- short sentences
- simile and metaphor
You are going to listen to a piece of music.
Try to create a suspenseful tale in your mind using
everything you have learned.
Short sentences to create tension. "Hearts pounded. Heads ached. Time ticked"
Use ellipsis to create a page-turning "What happens next?"
Similes and metaphors
Dark shadows. What is lurking, hidden? What strange sound was that?
Use all your senses.