Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Sociology of Culture
Transcript of The Sociology of Culture
Small Group Discussion
1. How does Becker define culture? How does his example of jazz musicians reflect that definition?
2. In what ways does his definition challenge traditional, or your own, definitions of culture?
3. Where does culture come from?
4. What is the 'cultural process'?
5. What does culture enable? What are its consequences?
The Study of Culture in Sociology
A system of shared understandings that enables people to act collectively:
Norms & Values
Scripts & Schema
Language & Symbols
Ideology & Discourses
Culture, Power & Conflict
High Culture/Cultural Capital
Cultural Conformity vs. Subcultures
Ethnocentrism vs. Cultural Relativism
Stereotypes vs. Cultural Appropriation
Counter-Culture vs. Cultural Consumption
use textual evidence to support your answers
one way to think about culture is as the
that holds social action and social structure together