Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Human Communication on the Internet
Transcript of Human Communication on the Internet
-Sequential, linear & logical Cool
-abstract & simultaneous comprehension Models of Communication Sender ---> (message) ---> (channel) -- Receiver Linear vs. Simultaneous Encoding/Decoding Stuart Hall (1973)
Encoding and Decoding in the Television Discourse “Before a message can have an ‘effect’ (however defined), or satisfy a ‘need’ or be put to a ‘use’, it must first be perceived as a meaningful discourse and meaningfully de-coded” 1. Hegemonic code: It is the code the encoder expects the decoder to recognize/decode 2. Professional code: Operates in tandem with the hegemonic code (visual quality, news and presentational values, "professionalism", etc.) 3. Negotiated code: a more restricted, situational level. Own ground-rules, and operates with ‘exceptions’ to the rule” 4. Oppositional code: (i.e. globally contrary code) Cultural Memes Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene (1976)
- A unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation. A (cognitive) information-structure able to replicate using human hosts and to influence their behavior to promote replication. A unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena variation