Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe
Transcript of The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe
We'll work our way towards it. Starter Any associations? Paired discussion and jotting of other examples of superstition, followed by class feedback To develop confidence identifying and exploring elements of poetic writing used to
establish classic gothic themes (e.g. beauty, death, despair, solitude)
construct meaning through symbolism Transition
to The Raven - By Edgar Allan Poe Introduction Class read-through
Striking or interesting language
Leading to: This is intended to encourage pupils to reflect on their own and others' responses
Class Discussion Main Task Split the class into 5 groups and explain the following questions: Group 1
- How does the poem establish a sense of sadness, loss and melancholic beauty?
- How does the setting and mood of the poem establish a feeling of isolation and tension?
- What elements of the poem establish a sense of eerie otherworldliness, and the paranormal?
- What do we learn about the people in the poem? Who is Lenore and what has happened to her?
- What is the significance of the raven in the poem? Why does it look, sound and behave as it does?
Allow approx 15 mins for group work
Then, as a class, work through each question, in no particular order, using each group's findings to trigger discussion Transition: The Raven is an example of
establish classic gothic themes (e.g. death, despair, solitude)
construct meaning through symbolism Today's learning objective: To develop confidence identifying and exploring elements of poetic writing used to Plenary Assign homework task Show video clip of The Raven
(as interpreted by The Simpsons) In the unlikely event of any remaining lesson time, ask around the class if anyone has any ideas for the homework assignment Intentions of lesson plan
Create a pupil-led atmosphere of inclusion and encouragement
Consider further transferable skills as part of text-specific activity
Offer autonomous, paired and group activities
Cover reading, speaking and listening, and (as part of the homework) writing
Thank you THE