Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Contents of The Dead Man's Pocket
Transcript of Contents of The Dead Man's Pocket
The short story "Contents of The Dead Mans Pocket" is a story about a young man named Tom Beneke.
Tom spends all his time working on important information about a grocery store.
One night his wife goes out, and his paper flies out the window.
And Tom decides to go on the ledge to get his important paper
Tom Beneke- Main Character, works for a grocery company and is very focused on his work. Tall, muscular, and has brown hair
Claire Beneke- Tom's Wife, she is very supportive but wants to spend more time with Tom. Very slender and pretty, with light brown hair.
His 11th story apartment and the balcony of his building, in Manhattan New York 1940's-50's
Point of View
Third Person Limited
-The setting is Tom's 11th story apartment in New York City.
-It is an autumn night.
-Tom is a tall, lean, dark-haired man who is wearing a pullover sweater.
-Tom's wife, Clare, is a slender, pretty with light brown hair.
-Clare asks Tom to go to a movie with her but Tom wants to stay home work.
-Tom's sheet of paper with all of his most important notes from his job flies out the window and gets stuck on a ledge.
-Tom climbs out the window to get the paper back
-On the way back, he looks down.
-He is too petrified to move and stands there for a couple of moments.
-He takes very small steps back to the window.
-The window shuts and Tom starts to light pieces of paper on fire to try to catch the attention of neighbors.
-Tom makes a decision that the only way to get back into the house is to punch the window and hope that it's hard enough so that he can get through, otherwise he will probably fall backwards onto the busy city streets.
-Tom sets the piece of paper down on his desk with a pencil over it, but the pencil rolls off the desk and the paper flies out the window again.
- Tom laughs and walks out the door to go find his wife and go to the movies
- Family is more important than work. Tom is obsessed with being successful and doesn't appreciate what he has.
- The sheet of paper symbolizes his future
- The apartment represents the security of his life.
- suspenseful, overworked, relieved
-Internal Conflicts: If he should go get his paper or not
-External Conflicts: Trying not to fall while getting the paper
- It's ironic that Tom spends so much time and energy to retrieve the paper from the balcony and in the end it just flies out again.
- The climax is when Tom punches through the window of his apartment and falls inside