Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Adlerian Therapy Techniques and the School Setting
Transcript of Adlerian Therapy Techniques and the School Setting
Prepare for Class Presentations
Review and Practice Listening Techniques
Review Task B Activity
Adlerian Theory Opening Activity
Choose a partner.
Discuss your birth order with your partner.
How do you think your birth order is reflected in your personality? Technique Review
Attending/ Active Listening
Open Ended Questions Let's Practice "The individual is both the picture and the artist. He is the artist of his own personality." Ansbacher & Ansbacher, 1956, p. 177. Adlerian Theory Home: Vienna, Austria
Very sickly during childhood
Interested in child-rearing practices, school reforms, and prejudices that resulted in conflict. Created Child Guidance Clinics in Vienna Public Schools.
Began training teachers, social workers, doctors and other professionals.
Facilitated large demonstrations to teach. Principles of Adlerian Theory View of Human Nature
Determined by person's perception of the past, not only past events.
Humans motivated by social urges.
Growth Model: Reeducating individuals and reshaping society Key Ideas and Terms
All behavior is goal directed
Birth Order Goals of Misbehavior
4. Proving Inadequacy Foster Constructive Goals
1. feeling Connected
2. feeling Capable
3. believing they Count
4. demonstrating Courage The Adlerian School Counselor Stages of Counseling
1. Build Egalitarian Relationship
2. Explore Client Lifestyle
3. Help Client Gain Insight into Lifestyle
4. Provide Reorientation and Reeducation Establish Trust Active teacher and encourager Empathically supportive and confrontational. More directive than P-C. Learn about client. Consult with family and teachers. The Adlerian counselor helps students acquire coping strategies for issues at home and school.
Children feel valued.
Learn appropriate ways to express feelings.
Learn problem solving skills. Common Orientation and Education Themes
1. Social Skills
2. Irrational Thoughts
3. Class Procedures
4. Graduation Requirements
5. NCAA Requirements
6. Attendance Policy Middle Class Family
Father was a merchant.
Five boys and two girls in family.
Youngest brother died. Adler was in the room.
Sibling rivalry between Adler and younger
Poor academic performance as a child. Alfred Adler (1870-1937)
Cannot separate individuals into parts.
Cannot separate individuals from others.
Social interaction is vital for development.
One's perspective of the world.
How people understand the world.
"What is it like looking through your eyes?"
"What do you see and how do you interpret it?" Conditions of a family form lifestyle.
We are like our parents. Striving for superiority is healthy. Look at positive side of inferiority.
Urge to do something.
Struggle can be empowering. Opposed to Freudian determinism.
People can change.
Circumstances can determine some things, not all things.
Adler respected Freud, but did not consider himself Freudian. Techniques
Homework: "What would you like to work on this week?"
Listen to hunches.
Concerned with verbs, not nouns.
Paradoxical Intention. Exaggerating symptoms. Pity Party.
Immediacy: Here and Now
Surround client with encouragement: "You can do this."
"Spit in the client's soup."