Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transhumanism and the Posthuman: Ethics in Healthcare
Transcript of Transhumanism and the Posthuman: Ethics in Healthcare
if, it's "when" and "how" Neuroscience and nanotechnology Possibilities of Modification Music
Deadmau5 & Dubstep The more we learn about what we are, the more options we will discern about what to try to become. Americans have long honored the “self-made" man...
Daniel C. Dennett A world free of disease and discontent:
elimination of suffering,
See what it's like to gaze into your own reflection of pristine perfection:
to witness the novel discoveries
of contemporary creation Welcome to the year 2029, "...when computers will have emotional intelligence and be convincing as people. This implies that these are people with volition just like you and I, not just games that you turn on or off." - Ray Kurzweil DNA technology has enabled genetic fusion between species:
Human Growth Hormone
Suicidal Mosquitoes Movies
Spiderman, The Hulk, Iron Man
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Anthropomorphism (n): Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena. "Notions of what now passes for tolerably good mental health are likely to be superseded. They will be written off as mood-congruent pathologies of the primordial Darwinian psyche. Such ugly thoughts and feelings will be diagnosed as typical of the tragic lives of emotional primitives from the previous era." - David Pearce Lady Gaga Stelarc Eduardo Kac If we are the authors to our own story, are we not also the artists of our own creation? "Everything derives from my spiritual practices. My mood is created by meditation and energy techniques. It makes me want to see everything as beautiful and bright, refined and original. I’m an idealist and a perfectionist, and I want my looks to reflect the world within me and how I feel."
- Valeria Lukyanova Transcendence:
- a state of being or existence above and beyond the limits of material experience.
The ultimate knowledge
- the state of excelling or surpassing or going beyond usual limits "Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting in a particular way." -Aristotle Generation Plasticity Valeria Lukyanova Is our love for plasticity just a fad, or is it the genetic makeup of the future? Splice The Stepford Wives Ultimate Ethical Implications of Transhumanism:
-Pursuit of perfection:
Loss of individuality: consciousness
Genius vs. intelligence
perception vs. experience
Loss of moral virtues
(humility, responsibility, solidarity
Quantity vs. Quality of life
loss of contentment and appreciation “More than make visible the invisible, art needs to raise our awareness of what firmly remains beyond our visual reach but which, nonetheless, affects us directly.” Transhumanism is the movement: "Posthuman" is where we direct it What are we "making - up" for? But, aren't we already '"science-fiction" ? Transhuman themes: Perfection? Ethical Issues:
exploring unknown territory Ethical Justifications:
(common good) Ethical issues:
autonomy gone too far
will harm common good
alter human species Ethical Justifications:
Common Interests Ethical Analysis:
Secondary: Deontological ethics vs consequentialism Divine Command