Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Foreshadowing
So what is foreshadowing?
Foreshadowing Does Not Have To
Foreshadowing is the use of hints
or clues in a narrative to suggest
Foreshadowing can be in books!
"They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense."
"I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this."
These quotes are from the first chapters of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "Twilight" respectively.
Foreshadowing can be in pictures!
Now You Try
In the next few slides are some of the most celebrated covers from young adult novels. See if you can glean any details about the text based on the images.
In this novel, humanity decides who
will marry based on a computer program.
Matching ceremonies are held for each
person and, at this time, they are shown
the face of the person they will spend the
rest of their life with.
The fact that she is inside a sphere could
be a reference to the fact that she feels
trapped and unable to make her own decisions.
Boy 21 is about two young men, as can be
seen by the doodles on the page. The basketball
indicates that sports will play a role in the story.
The rocket and stars could symbolize a dream
that the main character is trying to fulfill.
HINTS FOR YOUR
Strange smells are often foreshadowing!
If a narrator mentions a strange smell such
as that of rotting flesh or a smell of
disinfectant, those can be examples of
Rotting Flesh - Dead Body (animal or human)
Disinfectant - Hospital/Sterile Environment
Taxidermy is the art of preparing
and stuffing dead animals in lifelike
or comical poses so that they become decorations.
Strange tastes in food or drinks are a
BIG hint. Pay special attention to bitter
tastes such as the taste of bitter almonds.
Bitter almonds contain hydrocyanic acid
more commonly known as cyanide, a
poison. This poison causes coma, seizures
- To Summon
- To Make Appear
- To Taunt
- To Tease or Torture
- A disguise, mask, or front
- The front of the building
or outward appearance
- To arise, emerge, or emit
- To spread out from
- Aggressively greedy
- Eating living prey
- To dillydally or hang
- To stay longer than
needed or loiter
- Lumin (light)
- To brighten or lighten up
- To brighten with light
1) What is foreshadowing?
2) What examples of foreshadowing should we look for?
3) What is significant about the taste of bitter almonds?
4) What is the definition of conjure?
5) What is the definition of illuminate?
6) What is the definition of rapacious?