Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Police Brutality
Killed by the SFPD on March 21, 2014
28 year old, shot 14 times by police in Bernal Hill Park
He was a security guard, still in uniform with a tazer on his hip, eating in the park
Local passerby called police because he "looked suspicious".
Police confronted him as he was walking downhill on his way out of the park fired at him with two sequential round of shots. The first round took him down to the ground. The second round of over ten shots killed him.
A Racially Charged Topic
When you think of police brutality, you think about race.
There is so much emotion surrounding this topic
This is a safe space for discussion
Safe place to share experiences
Shot by Sonoma County PD, October 22nd, 2013
13 year old Lopez was carrying an airsoft gun that was designed to resemble an AK-47 assault rifle
Sheirrf's deputy opened fire on Lopez, mistaking toy for real gun
Michael Brown Jr.:
Know your Rights!
- You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to exercise that right, say so out loud.
- You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home.
- If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.
- You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Ask for one immediately.
- Regardless of your immigration or citizenship status, you have constitutional rights.
A community discussion
Know your Rights
- Do stay calm and be polite.
- Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.
- Do not lie or give false documents.
- Do prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested.
- Do remember the details of the encounter.
- Do file a written complaint or call your local ACLU if you feel your rights have been violated. (In San Jose- call independent police auditor)
The Bigger Issue
What can we do?
Know your rights
Advocate for change
In what ways have you seen police violence or brutality in your communities? Did it happen to you or others?
How do you interpret the relationship between police violence and mass incarceration?
How does police violence affect the quality of life in communities of color?
A Broken Record...
"Every 28 hours, a black man, woman, or child is murdered police or vigilante law enforcement."
A Multi-Layer Issue:
Culture of violence in law enforcement
School to prison pipeline
"We know that right now the struggle for freedom and justice is real. We live in the most incarcerated country in the world...There are more black men under correctional control today than there were under slavery in 1850."
-John Legend, Oscars 2015
"Today they've taken off the white sheet and put on police uniforms, they've traded in the bloodhounds for police dogs..."
Former De Anza Student
August 9th, 2014
18 year old
shot by officer Darren Wilson
Sparked the #BlackLivesMatter movement