Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Ecology Sec. 1.4 notes
Transcript of Ecology Sec. 1.4 notes
Tundra & Taiga
Desert & Grassland
Temperate & Tropical Forest
Water covers most of the Earth's surface
Regions of Earth are classified into biomes
Biome: a region of
that has a particular type of
and certain types of
tundra, taiga, desert, grassland, temperate forest, tropical forest.
, less than
of precipitation each year
a deep layer of permanently
just below the surface soil.
Plants=mosses, grasses, woody shrubs, lichen
animals= rodents, caribou, musk oxen, grizzly bears, white fox, snowy owls
precipitation, ground is cold but
Coniferous trees have
leaves that produce
all year long. Animals : deer,
lynx, owls, bears, and wolves
5. Taiga has tall trees & bushes; tundra has only low-growing plants.
6. Permafrost prevents the growth of the large, deep root systems of large plants in the tundra.
Sec. 1.4 - Biomes contain many ecosystems
soil, less than
: cactus, creosote bushes, shrubs
: lizards, ground squirrels, rodents, snakes, owls, and foxes
cm of precipitation year.
: grasses, shrubs, wild flowers
: rodents, bison, horses, gazelle, zebra, wolves, tigers, and lions
Desert has bare soil with rocks and cacti; grassland soil is covered with grasses & wildflowers.
Grasslands receives more rain and have richer soil
than deserts do.
cm of precipitation each year.D
drop as w
approaches & grow new leaves in s
large variety of trees and vegetation
odents, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoon, deer, wolves, bobcats, foxes
of precipitation. Warm temperatures. Large variety of plants and animals
he equator, and spreading north & south
Marine biomes, coastal, open ocean, deep ocean
Learning Goal: Describe how energy flows through an ecosystem
1. The organisms in a certain grassland ecosystem include grasses, insects, meadowlarks, mice, and owls. Draw a diagram that shows how these organisms depend on one another for food. Label each organism(s) it feeds on.
is an important factor in land biomes.Climate describes the long-term
patterns of a region, such as average yearly
ranges Climate also affects
2. all except taiga & tundra
3. tundra & taiga
Random trivia time!
The person in the bright yellow chair can choose to answer OR pick someone else
In which country would you find the Amazon river?