Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Bilingual Education: Where do we stand and where do we go?
Transcript of Bilingual Education: Where do we stand and where do we go?
50% admit to have deficiencies that affect the use of the L2 during the class time .
-> lack of pre-service training:
-> in-service training:
40% insists on the importance of training
in CLIL teaching techniques.
Where do we stand and where do we go?
Máster en Estudios Ingleses - 2011/12
Ruth García Carrasco
2.- Theoretical framework:
evolution of the bilingual programme
3.- Field work:
4.- Discussion of the results
TABLE OF CONTENTS
(cc) photo by theaucitron on Flickr
(cc) photo by theaucitron on Flickr
Major achievements in
(cc) image by nuonsolarteam on Flickr
To determine the
To understand the teachers' thoughts and feelings regarding Bilingual Education, their needs and suggestions around the target matter.
To detect areas for improvement and boost new lines of development.
The development of oral skills
lesson planning techniques
Discussion of the results
Revision of the role of language assistants to design an action protocol that really contributes to advice and support bilingual school teachers.
to Ss with SEN or
low achievements. Facilitate them a more successful and rewarding experience in the bilingual programme.
Source: "European Year of Languages 2001",
European Year of Languages
Common European Framework
1. To describe the main
2. To detect some
Introduce FL at a very early age
Increase of number of hours
CLIL: Content & Language
(...)there is a focus not only on content, and not only on language. CLIL is not a new form of language education. It is not a new form of subject education. It is an innovative fusion of both (Coyle, Hood & Marsh 2010).
Source: Council of Europe
The 4Cs framework
(Coyle, Hood & Marsh 2010)
It offers the brain the possibility to do what it does best: make connections to solve problems.
Illustration: Chad Hagen
CLIL materials: Junta de Andalucía
Programmes for CLIL
QUAL + QUANT
- Useful tool for industry.
- Becoming popular in the academic field.
- It is an invitation to collective reflection.
- The protagonists undertake changes and improvements.
- Neither cumbersome nor time-consuming.
- Collaborative and creative method.
- Effectiveness of CLIL.
- Benefits for both teachers and learners:
Ts: positive change in classroom planification and promotion of teamwork culture.
Ss: personal, sociocultural, curricular and professional advantages.
- Teacher Training Centres:
more practical direction.
promote exchange of good practices.
lesson planning and teaching techniques in CLIL.
- LOCIT: Lesson Observation and Critical Incident Technique (Coyle 2010)
identify moments of a lesson when learning has taken place. -> Feedback
- Lesson Study (Elliot 2010)
collaborative development of a lesson plan. Teachers observe each other.
through ICT activities,
specially in Secondary Education.
This paper has offered...
A novel interpretation of the CLIL approach.
Practical resources to face the demanding tasks associated with Bilingual Education
Two effective pedagogical strategies with a double impact:
improving professional development,
repercussion in the classroom and Ss learning.
Immersion + training periods abroad.
Teacher Training activities:
e.g.: Literary circles.
- Preventive measures:
Initial training at University.
Postgraduate course on teacher training
on Bilingual Education.
- Insist on the development of 3rd generation tasks or project-based approach.
- Take advantage of the support of language assistants.
- Pay attention to classroom arrangement.
The author of this work 2012
issues of similar relevance might
be mentioned which demonstrate the
great potential Bilingual Education
has for researchers.
(cc) photo by medhead on Flickr
Teachers' level of English according to the CEFR levels