Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Children
interferes with their schooling by...
- depriving them of the opportunity to attend school
- obliging them to leave school prematurely
- requiring them to attempt to combine school attendance with excessively long and heavy work Child labor is work performed by children that... agriculture mining construction service industries hotels bars restaurants fast food domestic service An estimated 22,000 children are killed at work every year factories What types of industries? How many? We think that... Why? family poverty AIDS pandemic in Sub-Saharan Africa orphaned by AIDS supporting sick parents armed conflict sexual exploitation Brickyards near Islamabad, Pakistan Girl sewing a soccer ball in Pakistan Progress: Number of child labourers fell by 11 percent globally over the past four years
Number of children in hazardous work has decreased by 26 percent 1 in 4 children in America lives in a food-insecure household 25% of hungry people in the world are children The first two years of life are the “window of opportunity” to prevent early childhood undernutrition that causes largely irreversible damage School meals in Ghana How many? Food distribution in Sudan Recovering from malnutrition in North Korea Under 5 Mortality Rate per 1,000 Live Births (1990 and 2007) ("UN Millennium Project") Causes of under-5 child deaths in low-income countries
Mission: To save children’s lives and protect people’s health by increasing access to immunization in poor countries.
GAVI uses two mechanisms that draw heavily on private-sector thinking to help overcome historic limitations to development funding for immunization. The International Finance Facility for Immunization which raises finance by issuing bonds in the capital markets and so converts the long-term government pledges into immediately available cash resources. The long-term government pledges will be used to repay the IFFIm bonds. The World Bank acts as financial advisor and treasury manager to IFFM. This funding program helps develop countries’ need for sustainable predictable funding.
The advanced market commitment - donors commit money to guarantee the price of vaccines once they are developed. Implementing countries will provide a small co-payment to contribute towards the cost of the vaccines and UNICEF will be responsible for vaccine procurement and distribution. This program helps meet disproportionately high costs in the early stages of implementing aid programs. Since established in 2000, approximately 300 million additional children have been immunized against preventable diseases (GAVI Alliance)
Pneumonia – 22%
-Preventable with immunization
Severe diarrhea/‘gastroenteritis’ – 18%
-Preventable with immunization
Malaria – 11%
-Potentially preventable with immunization, currently preventable with netting and treatable with medicine
"Children are empowered to realize their potential, they will enrich their villages and contribute to the world we all share...we are giving children the chance for a better tomorrow, while lightening the burdens of today" in INDONESIA in VIETNAM •Sent 876 kids back to school and training •Served 55,945 meals •Taken 183 kids to a doctor or hospital •Placed 34 teens in jobs in DEHLI "A quarter of a million of Delhi's children, living in slums or on the streets, do not go to school" 337 educational centres where 50,000 beneficiaries are educated through formal and non-formal education. "Four formal schools - three of Deepalaya and the other in collaboration with the Narang's - were established" global movement launched in 1990 at the World Conference on Education for All in Thailand GOAL: "universalize primary education and massively reduce illiteracy by the end of the decade". FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL Increase adult literacy by 50 per cent QUALITY partnership established by the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization Sustainable Development Department to address rural-urban disparities EDUCATION IS A BASIC RIGHT PROMOTION UNIVERSAL CHILDRENS DAY NOV 20 Mining in Katanga Province, Congo