Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Social Network Sites are Good!
Transcript of Social Network Sites are Good!
• 50% of people hear about world news
• 65% of editors and media reporters use SN for research
• Top news for Americans
Social and Political
Business and Education
Quality of Life
Law enforcement uses social networking sites to catch and prosecute criminals.
• 67% of Law enforcement professionals believe SN helps solve crimes
• NYPD twitter tracking unit
• EX: Vancouver Canucks lost causing a riot
Social networking sites increase voter participation.
• More likely to vote from seeing others do so
• 57% more likely to persuade someone about a vote
• People post how they voted (22% in 2012)
Social media facilitates political change.
• Give Social movements a quick
• Easy and efficient way to organize
Social networking is good for the economy.
• Created thousands of jobs
• New income & sales
• 900 billion to 1.3 trillion to the economy through SN
Social networking sites help students do better at school.
• 59% of students say SN helps discuss educational topics
• EX: George Middle School’s grades increased by 50%
Social media helps empower business women.
• Gives business women a support group
• Social media sites dominated by women
• Give and Receive peer knowledge
Social media sites help employers find employees and job-seekers find work.
• 64% of companies are on 2 or more networks
• 89& of job recruiters hired people on Linkedln
• Easy to find jobs
Social networking provides academic research to a wider audience, allowing many people access to previously unavailable educational resources
- restricted information in rare journals or costly databases can be now shared with the public
- educating people, advocating knowledge and improvement
Corporations and small businesses use social media to benefit themselves and consumers
- Small businesses benefit and improve greatly from connecting to customers more easily
- large chain stores and restaurants use social media to quickly disseminate information to managers and workers
Social networking sites allow people to improve their relationships and make new friends.
• 70% of adults use SN for communication
• Strengthens relationships
• 57% of teens say it helps them make new friends
Being a part of a social networking site can increase a person's quality of life and reduce the risk of health problems.
• Contagion Effect
Social networking sites facilitate face-to-face interaction.
• Get to known people before you meet them
• Studies lead to show SN leads to face-to-face interaction
Social media sites empower individuals to make social change and do social good on a community level
- Martha Payne brought changes to her school and formed a community called “Friends of Never Seconds” charity to feed children globally with her blog
- Friends of a bullied victim posted pictures of him as their profile pictures on Facebook and ended the bullying.
Social networking sites help senior citizens feel more connected to society
- 74-year old and older age group is the fastest growing demographic on social media sites
- Seniors report feeling happier with a sense of connection to the outside world
Social networking sites help people who are socially isolated for shy connect with other people
- more than 25% of teens feel less shy with social networking
-28% feeling more outgoing
-20% feel more confident
- social networking sites give people a place to make friends
"Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?." ProCon.org. N.p., 20 Jan. 2014. Web. 23 Jan. 2014. <http:// socialnetworking.procon.org/>.
"Are social networking sites generally beneficial to our way of life?." The Premier Online Debate Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014. <http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-social-networking-sites-generally-beneficial-to-our-way-of-life>.
"How Social Networking Has Changed Society." PCWorld. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2014. <http://www.pcworld.com/article/162719/s