Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Social Network Sites are Good!
Transcript of Social Network Sites are Good!
• 50% of people hear about world news
• 65% of editors and media reporters use SN for research
• Top news for Americans
Social and Political
Business and Education
Quality of Life
Law enforcement uses social networking sites to catch and prosecute criminals.
• 67% of Law enforcement professionals believe SN helps solve crimes
• NYPD twitter tracking unit
• EX: Vancouver Canucks lost causing a riot
Social networking sites increase voter participation.
• More likely to vote from seeing others do so
• 57% more likely to persuade someone about a vote
• People post how they voted (22% in 2012)
Social media facilitates political change.
• Give Social movements a quick
• Easy and efficient way to organize
Social networking is good for the economy.
• Created thousands of jobs
• New income & sales
• 900 billion to 1.3 trillion to the economy through SN
Social networking sites help students do better at school.
• 59% of students say SN helps discuss educational topics
• EX: George Middle School’s grades increased by 50%
Social media helps empower business women.
• Gives business women a support group
• Social media sites dominated by women
• Give and Receive peer knowledge
Social media sites help employers find employees and job-seekers find work.
• 64% of companies are on 2 or more networks
• 89& of job recruiters hired people on Linkedln
• Easy to find jobs
Social networking provides academic research to a wider audience, allowing many people access to previously unavailable educational resources
- restricted information in rare journals or costly databases can be now shared with the public
- educating people, advocating knowledge and improvement
Corporations and small businesses use social media to benefit themselves and consumers
- Small businesses benefit and improve greatly from connecting to customers more easily
- large chain stores and restaurants use social media to quickly disseminate information to managers and workers
Social networking sites allow people to improve their relationships and make new friends.
• 70% of adults use SN for communication
• Strengthens relationships
• 57% of teens say it helps them make new friends
Being a part of a social networking site can increase a person's quality of life and reduce the risk of health problems.
• Contagion Effect
Social networking sites facilitate face-to-face interaction.
• Get to known people before you meet them
• Studies lead to show SN leads to face-to-face interaction
Social media sites empower individuals to make social change and do social good on a community level
- Martha Payne brought changes to her school and formed a community called “Friends of Never Seconds” charity to feed children globally with her blog
- Friends of a bullied victim posted pictures of him as their profile pictures on Facebook and ended the bullying.
Social networking sites help senior citizens feel more connected to society
- 74-year old and older age group is the fastest growing demographic on social media sites
- Seniors report feeling happier with a sense of connection to the outside world
Social networking sites help people who are socially isolated for shy connect with other people
- more than 25% of teens feel less shy with social networking
-28% feeling more outgoing
-20% feel more confident
- social networking sites give people a place to make friends
"Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?." ProCon.org. N.p., 20 Jan. 2014. Web. 23 Jan. 2014. <http:// socialnetworking.procon.org/>.
"Are social networking sites generally beneficial to our way of life?." The Premier Online Debate Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2014. <http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-social-networking-sites-generally-beneficial-to-our-way-of-life>.
"How Social Networking Has Changed Society." PCWorld. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2014. <http://www.pcworld.com/article/162719/s