Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
MOMENTUM AND IMPULSE
Transcript of MOMENTUM AND IMPULSE
CONSERVATION OF MOMENTUM
The total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after an event.
Kinetic Energy is conserved; KE before = KE after
KE before > KE after
KE before < KE after
Momentum and Impulse Defined
tendency of an object in motion to stay in motion
inertia of objects that are in motion
depends on MASS and VELOCITY
change in momentum
to change the momentum of an object, one must apply a force over an amount of time
depends on two quantities: FORCE and TIME
A nail of mass 0.02 kg is driven into a fixed wooden block, Its initial speed is 30 m/s and it is brought to rest in 5ms. Find
a. the impulse
b. value of the force (assume this constant) on the nail.
Solve the following problems with a partner:
1. In the movie Little Miss Sunshine, A Volkswagen bus of mass 1200.0kg needs a push to get started. The entire Hoover family (except for Richard, who is driving) pushes on the the bus for 15.0s, by which time it has reached a speed of 10MPH or 4.5m/s. Neglecting friction, with what force did they push on the bus?
2. Let's take the case of a 4.0kg block with an initial velocity of 10.0m/s that is colliding with an 6.0kg block that is stationary. After the collision, both blocks are stuck together and are moving together. Your job is to determine the velocity of the linked blocks after the collision.
3. A. 0.010kg bullet is being fired by a 4.0kg gun. Starting from rest, the bullet has a muzzle velocity of 600.0m/s. How fast is the gun moving after it is fired, assuming that the gun is free to move?