Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
WORKPLACE BIKE PROGRAM
Transcript of WORKPLACE BIKE PROGRAM
A seasonal bike program that will help companies encourage employees to bike to work, from work or during their lunch break
National Prevention Strategy - created by the Affordable Care Act to realize the benefits of disease prevention for all Americans.
One of the seven
Physical inactivity contributes to chronic disease conditions such as Type II Diabetes mellitus, hypertension, heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
Physical inactivity accounts for:
22% of coronary heart disease and colon cancer
18% of osteoporosis-related fractures
12% of diabetes and hypertension
5% of breast cancer cases.
80% of New Yorkers do not get the recommended amount of exercise,
30 mins a day for 5 or more days a week
By Michael Stewart
The top reasons for physical inactivity:
1. Lack of time
2. Too tired
3. Family responsibilities
4. Expense of equipment, gym memberships, classes
5. Appearance after exercising
A workplace bike program
Encourage employees to bike to work, from work, or during their lunch break
The top reasons people
don’t bike during the workday are:
- It’s too dangerous
- Lack of changing facilities after riding
- Lack of appropriate clothing
- Hair problems due to helmet-wear
- Inclement weather
The program will target employees who already bike and encourage others to start
Central Park is a beautiful, spacious and safer alternative to New York City streets to ride and learn to ride
Companies can provide a space for employees to change or freshen-up after a ride
- Healthier employees are more productive and less likely to miss work due to illness
- Companies that support workplace health have a greater percentage of employees at work every day
- Employee health frequently carries over into better health behavior that impacts both the employee and their family
- The cost savings of providing a workplace health program can be measured against absenteeism
Various entry points:
- Provide a place to lock and store
- Provide an area for employees
(men and women) to change and shower
- Incorporate biking into company culture
Ex: provide safety lessons; start a
company bike club; launch a Tumblr
page to share information
- Offer direct incentives through
subsidies or reimbursements
This will solve the number one reason for not exercising AND the number one reason for not biking
BENEFITS OF A