Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Welcome to 4B!
Transcript of Welcome to 4B!
- vocabulary, descriptive and figurative language
- character traits and feelings
- making inferences, analyze author
- making connections to ourselves and world
- comprehension questions – Bloom’s Taxonomy
- divergent questioning
Welcome to 4B!
Let's watch a short video that shows some of the perks and perils that can happen with a group of bright and eager boys...
Thanks for coming!
Let's Ride the Wave...
, calls, meetings, home folders
Monthly, student-centered reflection…
at "interim" time
Trimester Report Cards
See-Saw Online Portfolio
… more info to come
Conference Time - Sign Up Procedures will be emailed soon, I hope!
- Dress Code
- Absences –
Homework – Math, Spelling, Reading, Grammar are given with most regularity
- Weekly Writing
- Reading to prepare for class
– sections for each subject
– these stay at school
– Fridays, graded work
– homework, reminders, weekly writing, observations/summaries, blank grid
Skills: number grades, use of fifth grade +/- system
98-100 = 1+ 95-97 = 1 92-94 = 1-
89-91 = 2+ 86-88 = 2 83-85 = 2-
80-82 = 3+ 78-79 = 3 76-77 = 3-
74-75 = 4+ and so on…
Effort and Conduct: letter grades – emphasized more in Lower School – A, B, C, D
'A' is Excellent.
'B' is very good.
'C' is Satisfactory
Will they know the difference...
I may not actually be a strict or stern teacher, although I do play one on TV ... (that’s between us!)
In 4B …
Reading/Writing (L.A.) - some will travel...
Social Studies, Spelling, Grammar
Switching for Math this year ... yup.
Go Away, please...
Science and Physical Education (P.E.) and loads of other fun things... (D&W, Spanish, Art, Music, Library,
- Student-Centered “5-E’s”
- Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend, Evaluate
- Review day then test after most units
- Apply skills and computations to real-world applications
Language Arts – Reading
Comprised of Before, During and After Activities
Before: Essential Questions, background building, activate prior knowledge and personal experiences
vocabulary, descriptive and figurative language
character traits and feelings
making inferences, analyze author
making connections to ourselves and world
comprehension questions – Bloom’s Taxonomy
divergent questioning (Quantity, Supposition, Viewpoint, Involvement, Association)
Academics, Classes, Activities
- essay responses
- creative extensions to characters, ideas, or themes in the novel
- role playing, art projects, music
- research projects, journaling
Language Arts – Writing
6+1 Writing Traits
Ideas, Organization, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency, Conventions
+1 = Presentation
- Class play, Morning Work, brain teasers, creative writing, jokes, games, brain breaks, 4B toys, Team Building, and 4B - Fantasy Football...
- Miscellaneous Fun
- Free Time: around the room are various places to find something to do or write about…
Academics, Classes, Activities
Math based: place value, number sense, graphing, statistics, trends, mean/median/mode, computation
- 30-45 mins per week
- Emphasizing the fun and friendly part of light competition
- All interest/knowledge levels are encouraged
- Will not hamper a well-rounded interest in other diversions…
We will be well-rounded
Being personally responsible for yourself because you are part of a group…
- room and area neatness
- responsibilities to be prepared each day
(signatures, forms, consistency)
- follow directions and be aware of your
Everybody’s a stickler about something…
for yourself - do it for yourself AND because you are part of a group… Conscientious !
Be a problem-solver.
Make improvements, not excuses.
Parents - Support them, but let them mess up a little and struggle; let them learn from mistakes.
Everybody’s a stickler
Homework… duh, duh, DUH!!
Music/Art: morning work, play, “filler” activities, snack time, read aloud, Music Madness Tournament
- Family, Kids
- Team Building
- Personal Reflection: weekly writing, journaling, monthly reflections, portfolio
Natural Maryland and Geography
African American Leadership in MD
Our Fourth Grade "Day" = Math Fair
Literature Groups with Bryn Mawr 4th graders
African American Leadership Research Report, Speech, and Project
Field Trips -
St. Mary's City - overnight! (Oct. 26th and 27th)
Reginald F. Lewis Museum of African American History
Living Classrooms (on the water, harbor)
Fantasy Football (in case you haven't heard...)
What Separates us?
About an hour a night…
Reading – 15 min
Math – 15 min
Spelling – 25 min per week
Vocab - 25 min per week
Grammar - 15 min per week
Spanish – twice a cycle? Science (a bit...)
Weekly Writing… maybe more like "Bi-Weekly..."
NO Social Studies