Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
INVESTIGATION REPORT WRITING
Transcript of INVESTIGATION REPORT WRITING
The purpose of this module is to equip the participants with the basic knowledge and skills in writing police investigative reports. With the use of different communication gadgets, police report writers find difficulty in expressing their thoughts clearly for proper comprehension. While spoken and printed words exist as the two basic tools of communication, a well-written investigation report remains to be a problem in the different units.
This training will develop and improve the writing skills and capability of the participants in writing an accurate, complete, concise and clear investigative report.
1. To provide the participants the knowledge on the preparation of reports as required by the existing policies of the PNP.
2. Recognize the essential parts of a correct investigative report.
3. Identify the common errors in writing an investigative report.
4. Communicate effectively through the use of spoken and printed word;
5. Express their thoughts clearly and concisely when writing a police report;
6. Value the importance of correct report writing.
by: PCDT JERWIN I LALAMORO
chi2x - IIIIII
mark - IIII
Is an objective statement of the investigator’s findings, it is an official record of information relevant to the investigation which the investigator submits to his/her superior.
The use of language, spoken or written to exchange ideas or transfer information. The transfer of information or ideas from one person to another includes the transmission & receipt of message to affect some type of action or change
Is a detailed account of an event, situation, etc., usually based on observation or inquiry.
Is a communication that lends itself to a useful tool for people in a free society to express their thoughts and ideas and to obtain what they need or want.
Is knowingly passing along information to someone else.
Is anything which either through careful observation or investigation, has been proven to exist as to have happened.
Is defined as a brief notation concerning specific events that are recorded while fresh in your mind and used to prepare a report.
Is the arrangement of events and/or actions in order by the time of their occurrence.
Importance of Investigative Reporting
d. Reports can be useful to local media which need access to public documents.
e. The author of a report should also consider that his/her (written) work is reflective of his personality.
f. Reports can be a basis for research.
a. It serve as records for police administrators in planning, directing, and organizing the unit’s duties
b. Reports can be used as legal documents in the prosecution of criminals.
c. Reports can be used by other agencies.
Preparation needed in Report Writing
a. Review and Organize notes
b. Draw an outline in chronological sequence – should answer the 5W’s & 1H
c. Review for completeness
d. Actual writing of the report
a. It must be grammatically correct.
b. Abbreviation must be used appropriately and correct.
c. The report should avoid slang, colloquialism or unnecessary technical terms.
Requisites of Good Investigation Report
Form and Style
Type of Reporters
a. Those who write without thinking.
b. Those who write and think at the same time.
c. Those who think first and write afterwards.
Different types of Report
– is a record or log of daily events occurring within the territories/jurisdiction of a given police unit or command. It contains material details concerning the event for legal and statistical purposes, it is also where all types of operations and undercover dispatched shall be recorded containing the five Ws (WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, and WHY) and one H (HOW) of an information.
– this refers to an immediate initial investigative or incident report addressed to Higher Headquarters pertaining to the commission of the crime, occurrence of natural or man-made disaster or unusual incidents involving loss of lives and damage of properties.
– it is an accounting of the actions or series of actions undertaken in relation to an ongoing investigation of a case. It include updates and or recently discovered facts, data, evidence recovered, result of forensic examinations which would shed further light into case and determine the next courses of action to be taken.
– Special reports are done either because one feels he has some reporting to do or a lower police unit or office is obligated based on the directives or an instruction from the higher police offices.
– Is a thorough, in-depth and lengthy account regarding an investigation into an incident or case as mandated by higher authorities to establish a determination of the truth and or how far it could be determined based on the facts and circumstances with the appropriate recommendation for the proper course/s of action/s to be made.
– is considered internal communication, and it should be addressed to the chief or head of a police office. Investigation report is complete when it answers the six interrogatives of police report writing- the 5W’s and 1H. It also provides in brief, the sworn statements executed by the individuals having an interest in the case being investigated.
– Is an account relative to the commission of a crime or incident filed by a complaining witness or victim to the Police citing the date, time, place, possible motive of the commission/occurrence, how it was perpetrated, and other details relative to incident.
– Recording Note: The data of the investigation should be recorded in a complete, accurate and legible fashion so that in the event another investigator is required to assume responsibility for the investigation, he can make intelligent use of the notebook.
Case referral report
– It serves as endorsement to the Prosecutors Office of the case being brought by the investigating officer before their (Prosecutor) attention for appropriate action (either for inquest or regular filing). When the particular case is already referred to the Prosecutor the investigation of the case terminates and the jurisdiction over the case already resides with the Prosecutor in-charged.
After Case Hearing Report (during trial)
After Case Hearing Report ( during promulgation)
Special Report in Civilian Letter Format
Forensic request Format
The participants will be divided into groups. Each group will be given a sample format of an investigation report. They are going to analyze these reports and discussed it with their group mates. Each group will have their representative to share to the class what they have learned.
– Used to inscribe incidents, cases and other important events that transpire during his/her tour of duty.
– a report which is used as a means of formal coordination to be made by the investigating agency with the police unit or military unit having operational jurisdiction over the place where a police case operation shall be conducted.
Turn Over of Crime Scene
– procedure done by first responders to the investigator/s in charge
Turn Over of the Physical Evidence
– procedure done by investigator/s on case to the SOCO team.
Practical exercise on how to make an investigative report.
The participants are required to make a skeletal format of a report in a piece of paper. It is done to determine if the participants learned the standard format in writing an investigation report.
Can you now write a good Investigation Report
Can you enumerate the cardinal principle in writing an investigation report
What are the different types of Report?
Based on what you have learned in this topic, what can you say about the importance of having skills in report writing?